Gaming PC hardware opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.
did you not just understand what i said IM NOT COMPARING THE CONROE TO THE CURRENT/ SAME CPUS AS 939
AMD WILL RELEASE THE K8L in q1 2007 its been said in like every news release plus how about conroes raid 5 problem?

First of all, I'm talking about AM2 processors, not the socket in general. I'm saying that AM2 CPUs suck. I'm talking about the present buddy. From the time of this writing, in exactly one week, Conroe will be released. It's as good as here.

Q1 2007 is far off, and K8L is supposed to come out in the Mid-2007 area, June/July, like Conroe. Thats not Q1 2007. Actually, the latest AMD roadmap shows no signs of K8L processors through Q3 2007. There are higher-clocked Athlon 64 X2s, and a FX-64, but that's about it.

Before K8L comes out, the Athlon 64s are no match for the Core 2 Duos. We have NO performance figures from K8L, so I shouldn't start talking about that. And neither should you; don't assume that its going to beat Conroe, it could easily not. "Evolutionary, not Revolutionary" remember?

reckliss said:
well i was saying to the kid that said am2 is going to suck that it is not true because amd just released the am2 socket for users who are building a computer with upgradabilty so when the time comes q1 2007 there mobo will support it (K8L)

should have pointed out who i was calling a idiot lol

All the K8L performance is purely speculation. With AMD's new socket AM3 coming out supposedly early next year, AM2 would be pointless for future-proofing your system. However, that is not confirmed (to my knowledge) yet, so that too is speculation.

AM2 CPUs will be able to run on AM3 sockets, but not vice-verca. If K8L is AM3-only, then there is no point in buying AM2 for it's performance and upgradability. However, for the point of having more competition between Intel and AMD, I certainly hope K8L is compatible with AM2 and AM3.

i was refering to "AM2 CPUS Suck"

"AMD will most likely introduce K8L microprocessors manufactured at 65 nm feature width using Silicon-on-insulator (SOI) technology, since the release of K8L coincides with the volume ramp of this manufacturing process: see links below from Anandtech and Techenclave. The servers will be produced for Socket F (1207) infrastructure, the only server socket on AMD's near-term roadmap; the desktop parts will come on Socket AM2, in the form of dual-core and single-core chips code-named Brisbane and Sparta respectively."

edit my bad about the time

Then someone tell when is socket AM3 supposedly going to be released? I had heard H1 2007, but I dont know.

[EDIT] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K8L
I used my good from Wikipedia to help me here. It says K8L will support DDR2 and DDR3. AM3 is "supposedly" going to be the socket to support DDR3. So my "speculation" (nothing official) is that AM2 will be used for people wanting to upgrade, but AM3 will be the new thing that supports DDR3, and AM2 will be slowly phazed out.

reckliss said:
honestly i dont think amd would release am2 for absolutely no reason

They wouldn't. If you read my last post, this theory of mine goes along with my earlier speculation. AM2 is just a filler until AM3 comes with DDR3. K8L will support AM2 so it's not completely a bust. People will be able to upgrade to K8L processors, but if they want DDR3, they have to go to socket AM3 and AM3 processors.

Warning: The statements in this post are purely a theory and should not be used against me later on. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom