Gaming Computer - Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

meefle

In Runtime
What's your budget? Many people would say that a AMD 64 3700+ is a better choice for gaming. I don't know much about that MSI K8N Diamond but I've heard good things about the MSI K8N Neo-4. You might also want to get a larger hard drive, like a 250 GB or maybe two 80 GBs in RAID 0. Good video card. Some say it'll be obsolete in a year but I think it'll be fine.

Guess HTML isn't enabled? I thought it was.

CPU
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103539

Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813130491

250GB Hard Drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822148065

80GB Hard Drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822148107

another in flames fan heh, im gonna (hopefully) see em and trivium on thurs, but thats besides the point

i plan on getting a msi diamond as well, i like the idea of full x16 on either single card or sli, so youll get full preformance out of one card, and have room to throw another on. looks like a good mobo to me.
hard drive, meh. i was considering the raptor, but decided to just get 2 7200 rpm 80g seagates and raid them. a single 74 gig seems a bit low space wise, and its ~40 bucks more then a single 7.2k 80gb. if you have the cash, maybe up it to a 150gb 10krpm.
the case looks allright with its 4 80mm. i think that will get some decent airflow. im not a fan of how it looks, but then again im a fan of more simplistic designs.
the psu looks allright, but for a buck less you can get the 620w (680 peak) liberty that supports sli, has modular cables (you can remove the ones you dont need so you dont have to try and hide em), and will have more then enough power for this build as well as (most likley) future builds. that and it matches your case better (color wise). ive read up on it and it sounds like a very good psu.

yea i picked the MSI board cuz i currently have a MSI Geforce 6600GT i love the company and it has SLI support plus IEEE connectors. I like the HD idea, i havent used RAID before and dont kno much about it so i might try that. I would like to get a dual-core processor but are the gamin ones the 500+ ones? If they are i'll stick with the one sickness suggested. I dont really need more than 80GB for an HD and i have an 80GB maxtor right now that i might use too. i'll be usin some of my old parts too, maybe my tower (Kingwin Mutant-X Series), dvd drive (HP LIghtscribe) and floppy drive.

btw IN FLAMES ROCKS!

A dual core processor would be much more future proof than that 3700+. There are already multi-threaded games coming out (FEAR) that take advantage of dual core processors. The support for dual core is just going to get bigger and bigger.

so should i stick with the X2? will the X2 still play older games like deus ex and RA2 or are those games not combatable?

i dont plan on OCing, i might and if i do, i wouldnt pver clock it much. i'd probably use a different fan and heatsink then the stock one that i'm buyin for my P4 soon. i'd rather stick with a dual-core.

edit:
i was lookin on newegg at some more AMD processors. i wont be usin the computer just for games, i'll be editin videos on it and usin it for instant message and some other stuff like that. Some of the reviews said to get a 1MB L2 cache for video editin so i think i might go with a regular Athlon or an Opteron. If i do get a reg. Athlon or an Opteron, i would to have 2.4GHz clock speed. so i was thinkin one of these (i hope it shows the 3 i'm seein, if not its 2.4GHz clock speed, 1MB L2 Cache, Socket 939)
AMD Processors

Is a intel that much worse for gamin, if i got a high end pentium 4 or a pentium d i could still play the new games right? I'll be usin the computer for alot of video editin and some intels have 2MB L2 Cache and their clock speed is alot higher (i kno amds are better for gamin) but will an intel be so much worse?

yes .. you can play old games... wont really push the dual cores tho.... but to get msi vid card you dont need an msi mobo.... i was goingt osay go dfi but you dont plan on ocing so you could stick wiht msi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom