Gaming Computer Build, with a budget!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wedes

Solid State Member
Hey, I'm finally building my own computer now after several years of lag and whine about my crappy computer! :thumbsup: Anyways I've put together all the parts I need for the computer by checking videos, forums etc. to find a good match and a good compsition for my gaming needs.

What I would like to know now is if there are any improvements that I can do without increasing the price? My budget was originally around 1550$ (I'm from Sweden and my budget was in kronor 12000kr which translates into roughly 1550USD) but it is now up in about 1800$ due to some upgrades in graphics and casing.

Here's my current build:

dator.png

To clarify my question a bit more I'd like to know if there are any parts in this build that aren't optimal for the pricing?

Some explanation on why I chose the parts I use in this build:

CPU (Intel Coreâ„¢ i7 Quad Processor i7-930 Quad Core, 2.8Ghz, Socket 1366, 8MB, 130W)
I've heard that the 860, which costs about the same amount as the 930, is supposed to be better in performing at single tasks which is useful in gaming but I decided for the 930 in the end because it uses a newer moderboard and as I intend to keep this computer for a while and upgrade it as I go I'd like to have a strong foundation. I've also heard that it's good for overclocking and even though I'm not planning to do so in the near future I'd still like to be able to if I would be to change my mind.

Case (Antec Twelve Hundred Big Tower)
I wanted a big case with a good airflow and lots of space to fit the graphic card I chose and ofc all the other parts, I also think the case is important in the future when you upgrade the computer that you know for sure that the parts will fit etc.

Moderboard (ASUS P6X58D-E, X58, Socket-1366 DDR3, ATX, SATA 6Gb/s, USB3.0, Firewire, GbLAN, 3xPCI-Ex(2.0)x16)
The first thing I looked for was the socket ofc to see that it fitted my cpu, then I did some research to see if it supported crossfire, which it did and SLI as well which is good in case I ever switch to Nvidia GPU.

GPU (Graphics) (XFX Radeon HD 5870 1GB GDDR5 PCI-Express 2.0, 2xDVI-I, HDMI, DisplayPort, 850MHz)
For this I looked at dozens of reviews on youtube, forums and overclocking sites to see how it performed compared to the other graphic cards out there. I think this graphic card works well with my intentions since it's a good graphic card that can handle all the new games at top settings + I can always add another one in crossfire if it starts to have trouble keeping up.

RAM (Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333MHz 6GB CL9 Kit w/3x 2GB XMS3 modules, CL9-9-9-24, for Core i7)
I'm not too sure about this part but as I was choosing between 1333MHz or 1600MHz I looked it up and everywhere I looked they said 1600MHz is only really viable if you're into overclocking a lot. So I chose to go with 6 Gb 1333MHz instead of 4 Gb 1600MHz for roughly the same price.

Power Supply (Silver Power SP-SS650 650W PSU ATX 12V V2.2, 80 Plus Bronze, Standard, 1× 6pin PCIe, 1x 6+2pin PCIe)
I'm very uncertain about this part... I just looked at a pal that was compiling something similar and he was using this PSU so I sticked with it.

Harddrive (Hitachi Deskstarâ„¢ 7K1000.C 1TB 7200RPM, 3,5", 32MB Cache, SATA 3Gb/s)
I just wanted something rather big and not too expensive and as this one had rather good reviews I chose it, not too sure about this part either though.

These are my opinions on my build and I just want to say that I'm a noob at this really so anything I state here are just opinions or test results from other sites and ppl. But as I don't know how to fit hardware together very well and what parts that fit my needs the best I would love to get your opinions and corrections on this build.

PS. Sorry for spelling and language failure in this post but I'm swedish so what can you do :sweat:

EDIT:

Do you think it's worth it to get a 3rd party CPU cooler for what I'm gonna use the comp for or would that be a little overkill and a waste of money?

After looking over a few reviews of the PSU, I would be comfortable saying it seems like a suitable PSU for you.

Also, what site are you using to find these parts?

I fully agree. That's actually why I asked what site was used, to see if there is a more reputable brand. I'm sure the Silver PSU is a good PSU, but the Corsair has been proven over and over again.

Also, if you can afford it, look into a 1TB WD Caviar Black. They're some of the fastest 7200RPM hard drives available.

Komplett.se - WD Caviar® Black 1TB 3,5", SATA,

I was actually looking at that harddrive but then I looked at some other stuff, lost the link and settled for that other one :p

*edit*
I looked at that PSU as well the only thing I was worried about was that it's only 80+ certified not 80+ bronze... I'm not an expert but someone said it was good for a gaming cp :p

I was actually looking at that harddrive but then I looked at some other stuff, lost the link and settled for that other one :p

*edit*
I looked at that PSU as well the only thing I was worried about was that it's only 80+ certified not 80+ bronze... I'm not an expert but someone said it was good for a gaming cp :p

Trust me, on the Corsair, you will not be disappointed! Many of the users here have the same model, and all have good things to say about it.

The 80 PLUS Program | About

That will tell you all you need/want to know about what 80 Plus certifications are.

Basically, 80+/Bronze/Silver/Gold tell you how efficient they actually are. All I really remember, is that 90%+ efficiency is Gold certified. Bronze is, IIRC, is up to 4% more efficient than a standard 80+ rating.

Lol I looked it up and the according to 80 plus' website the difference between corsair's 80+ and 80+ bronze was close to 0... I think 80+ was at 85.13% efficiency while 80+ bronze was on 85.53% or something.

People want you to get the corsair because they are more reliable brand. You really don't want your psu to take a dump on you, die, and take other parts of your pc with it. When you get a good brand like corsair, your risks are minimal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom