Gaming Computer, <$1200, good specs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I fail to find the logic in your opinion. While he may not need a Blu-Ray drive, ODD's are not extinct. They're needed to install an OS, and other things. Which by the way, to the OP, you need an OS.

I already have a retail copy of Windows 7, and a 24" qHD monitor so I didn't add those to my shopping list. I'm looking for parts to build the desktop only. Thanks though!

I know this one is REALLY cheap, but it seems pretty similar. It also has pretty good reviews.
I would not trust a system I cared about with a cheap power supply, if the power supply goes it has the potential to take out other more expensive components with it.
Why don't I trust this one in particular? Lopsided 12v rails (which I've never seen before), and poor 3rd party reviews on Compucase PSUs in general. I don't really give much weight to Newegg reviews since most of the people on there aren't professional testers.
If you want a PSU that can handle 2x 6950s later you'll also need 4x PCI-Express Connectors on it (6-pin or 6+2-pin).

I would not trust a system I cared about with a cheap power supply, if the power supply goes it has the potential to take out other more expensive components with it.
Why don't I trust this one in particular? Lopsided 12v rails (which I've never seen before), and poor 3rd party reviews on Compucase PSUs in general. I don't really give much weight to Newegg reviews since most of the people on there aren't professional testers.
If you want a PSU that can handle 2x 6950s later you'll also need 4x PCI-Express Connectors on it (6-pin or 6+2-pin).
Okay, thanks. Out of the ones you suggested for me before, which one would you personally buy? (with a 2500k and two 6950s, just in case)

I really like the Silverstone Strider 750 Plus. Its fully modular, 80+ Silver efficient, and quality built, $120 @ NCIX (US or CA).

If you plan on overclocking though I'd probably get the XFX Core Edition Pro 850. Its not modular and 80+ Bronze, but still quality built and 100 more watts, $130 @ Newegg (US or CA).

I fail to find the logic in your opinion. While he may not need a Blu-Ray drive, ODD's are not extinct. They're needed to install an OS, and other things. Which by the way, to the OP, you need an OS.
When I said I think they are going extinct, what I mean is more content will be distributed in a digital format as internet availability and bandwidth increase. That is why I suggested just a normal dvd burner rather than one that can read blu rays.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom