A Gaming build for your analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaeso

Beta member
Hey guys and gals,

Hows it going? Well I hope.

I'm hoping to get some feedback on a build I've been researching (My first new comp in 6 years, lol). My goal is a gaming computer, but im not into overclocking though I may dabble in it in the future. I'd like to see my build last me a good 5 years, even if I can't play at the top settings, as long as I can play the games that would be awesome. I plan on buying good quality brands, so any input into what those are would be helpful, lol. I figure they last longer. I plan on getting most of my stuff from newegg or cheap stingy bargains, though I've got a comfortable budget so my main concern is that the build is quality rather than cheap. Thanks in advance! Feel free to message me if you want.

Intel Core i7 920 or 40
Asus P6T; (I've struggled with figuring out a good motherboard and this seemed solid and basic, lol)
DDR3 RAM
GeForce GTX 285; (Would you recommend getting a second 285 for SLI?)
Power Supply 1000W
Case; Aluminum; Full Tower; Keep eye out for superior cooling; Fans?
Monitor; LCD; 20 Inches or More
Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit

Also, any feedback regarding cooling would be appreciated. Like more on that Push/Pull system I've seen on the boards.

Kaeso

Most people here would recommend aan ATI 5870 video card...or wait for the new Nvidia cards to be released, they should be coming fairly soon.

You probrobly dont need a 1000 watt power supply unless you plan on going sli or crossfire with two very high end cards....which it looks like you may......if so look at Corsair power supplies or PC Power & Cooling

Coolermaster makes some great cases and are resonably priced

With a powerful video card like you are planning I would get like a 24 inch monitor with a high resolution 1920 x 1080 or 1920 x 1200.....your games will look awsome.

If you dont plan to overclock you will not really need a different heatsink and fan....if you are going to overclock then you would want something better than the stock fan.....other people here know more about those as I am not really up to date on what most people see as the better ones.

just like whirl,
i am also suggest ATI radeon video card.
and you add additionally, ThermalTake 120 mm cooling case fan.
why you not tryout Gigabyte mobo?

The i7 920 is the smart choice. It has plenty of power for any task you can throw at it. And later when you do need more power you can always "dabble" with some overclocking :D
http://www.techist.com/forums/f10/i7-overclocking-guide-224693/

Asus, EVGA and Gigabyte are the most popular mobo choices.

Look for a 6GB (3x2GB) kit of DDR3 1600

At this very moment in time the ATI 5870 is a much better card than the GTX 285. Expect Nvidia to release a few new cards in the very near future.
http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/graphics-performance-list-212331/

Your probably not going to need a 1000watt power supply anytime soon. And a smaller wattage unit like the Corsair 850TX will perform as good or better than a "so-called" 1000w unit from a company like Ultra or RaidMax.
http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/read-first-updated-power-supply-guide-221778/

Cooler Master, Antec, Lian-Li all make excellent, well ventilated cases.

You should get yourself a nice LCD Monitor. I will also say a 24" minimun preferably HD with a 1900x1200 resolution. Samsung is an excellent choice.

Unless you specifically need XP mode for a specific application (not for gaming) then you should probably look at Windows 7 Home Premium.

The best Heatsinks for Air Cooling are, in my opinion, the:

Thermalright True-120 Extreme, this heatsink needs lapping to bring out all of it's glory. See the i7 Overclocking Guide link above for more details on lapping. Push-Pull is an option.

Prolimatech Megahalem is also a very good heatsink that can be setup in a push-pull configuration.

Noctua NH-U12P SE2 is another good heatsink and it ships as a push-pull heatsink straight from the box.

With a computer that high end, I recommend a monitor 24" and 1920x1200 or else you will not be taking advantage of it's graphics potential.
Also, I recommend going with a 5850 or 5870 over that GTX 285.
A 750w+ Corsair could probably tie you over or an Antec Truepower New 750w+

As far as cases go, I recommend one of these if you want it to be nice/high quality/ and have superior cooling.

Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER CM690 II Advanced Black Steel body / Plastic + Mesh bezel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases
Newegg.com - LIAN LI K60B Black CECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases
Newegg.com - LIAN LI Lancool PC-K7B Black Aluminum/ SECC ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases
Newegg.com - LIAN LI Lancool PC-K62 Black 0.8 mm SECC, Plastic + Mesh ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases
Newegg.com - LIAN LI Lancool PC-K58 Black CECC Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

Get the i7 920 don't bother with the 940, they both overclock the same.
(Also, please don't buy this and NOT overclock, lol.)
It should be a crime to own an i7 920 and not AT LEAST overclock it to 3.6Ghz.

The Asus P6T is a solid motherboard, the EVGA 3X SLI is also good.
I would buy whichever was cheaper between those two at the time.

Good luck. :]

Wow, awesome guys thanks! I guess if I'm a gamer I really should just bite the bullet and learn how to overclock lol. Matt123 its not that I don't want to try a gigabyte motherboard, its that I honestly couldn't tell the difference. I would never have known that about the monitor, lol. So I copy and pasted all of the brands that I saw for shopping purposes to have comparisons and the like and...

My updated build looks like this now:

Intel Core i7 920 (which is nice it cuts the cost down a bit)
Asus P6T or EVGA 3X SLI (whichever is cheaper)
6GB (3x2GB) kit of DDR3 1600
ATI 5870 (Depending on if Nvidia comes out with anything in the next month or so); Probably wont crossfire right away but at least within a year, so I'm gonna make sure my machine is ready for it at least.
Power Supply Corsair 850TX, Antec or similar
Case; LIAN LI Lancool PC-K7B or Similar
Monitor; LCD; HD; 24 Inches Minimum; 1900x1200

I'll probably get a better heatsink since I'll overclock, so Thermalright True-120 Extreme along with some Thermal Paste for lapping or similar
Or
Noctua NH-U12P SE2 or similar for Push/Pull.
I have to research both methods more in order to figure out what I'm comfortable with.

A few questions for clarification if you don't mind:
Regarding the EVGA 3X SLI... is that only for SLI therefore nvidia or can you do crossfire too?
I see that all the cases you recommended, Shiro, are Mid Towers rather than Full? I take it Mids are sufficient for my needs even with crossfiring and the length of the 5870 (isn't that thing like a foot long)?
So 6 Gigs of Ram is all I need? that's nice lol I was thinking like 12
If I update my comp by crossfiring or SLI ing with another video card a year from now would I need an updated power supply? from the 850 quality one?

Thanks again guys, this has been a great help
Kaeso

A $45 mid tower would cover your needs lol.
You only need a full tower if you plan to have 3 or more graphics cards or like 5+ HDD's.

Also, a 5850 is about $100 cheaper than a 5870 and has about 80-90% of the performance of a 5870, so if you want to save yourself the money, but get close to the same performance go 5850.

Also, a Corsair 750w or Antec Truepower 750w would tithe you over even with crossfire or SLI factored in.

And the EVGA 3X SLI is just advertised for SLI, BUT it CAN handle crossfire too.
All x58 boards can do SLI or Crossfire.

That would be a great rig right there....personally , if i was thinking of maybe using two video cards...I would get a full tower....if it is in your budget....it is not necessary, but it will sure help keep things cooler and the extra space is always nice. I have never regreted having a big case with lots of fans.

orihS ‪‪‪Shiro;1773984 said:
A $45 mid tower would cover your needs lol.
You only need a full tower if you plan to have 3 or more graphics cards or like 5+ HDD's

why? what if you want extra space for a WC setup or what if you just find it easier to work in a full tower because theres more space?

what about personal preference? maybe not everyone is going to like that rosewill and it isnt the only case that might offer decent cooling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom