Gaming Build, suggestions pls...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riznarf

In Runtime
Hi all-

I'm designing a new computer to build for myself, and thought I could use some input from you guys. I'm not the most expert technician, so lets include only novice-type things, so no SLi, water cooling, etc...

I'm trying to keep the total project under or around $2000USD.

Here's what I'm thinking so far:

CPU: e6600 (over the 6700 because I heard the 6600 is more stable and overclockable, is this true?)
Video: eVGA GeForce 8800 GTX
Case: Antec 900
Mobo:eVGA LGA 775 NVidia GeForce 680i SLI ATX

I guess some advice I need is on some memory, (I know the mobo can handle DDR1200 but is that the best?) a PSU, and harddrives. I know I probably want a 37GB 15k for the OS, and then another 500gb 7,200 for all the other stuff.

Also, I have a Vizio 32" HDTV which I'm thinking of using as a monitor. Can anyone speak for the quality if hooked up through a DVI to HDMI cable?

Thanks.

Ram: G-skill 2x1gb (6400)
psu: 600W OCZ
hdd: (if you are prepared to buy a 15k drive which I believe is a waste you may want to look at flash hdd's 0ms seek time but the largest capacity for retail atm is 32gb and that costs $500)
Seagate barracuda 7200.10 500gb (great value, long warranty, fast)

quality is ok through the dvi-hdmi cable but using a tv as a monitor doesn't work very well resolutions are lower then monitors and the picture is designed for television which results in different contrast and brightness, tv monitors are also likely to e affected by overscanning of the picture

For G. Skill ram, get the HZs.

Save money by ditching the 680i mobo, and go for either the Gigabyte 965P-DS3 or MSI P6N 650i.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom