Gaming build, need some comments

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbqsauced

Solid State Member
You can check out the build I'm looking at here.

Basically, I don't want to go over $1200, (US) but I'm worried about the graphics card. I know the 8800 is vastly superior, but its difficult for me to fork out that extra cash. If it is really worth it, I might be able to come up with something.

Anyhow, if it helps, I plan on dual booting XP and Linux. I'll probably play games like Oblivion, NWN2, WoW, etc. I don't really have any interest in playing Crysis as of now, so if the x1950PRO can get me decent settings on some of the latest games out now, I'd be happy.

What kind of performance can I expect from this build?

Good fps with all current games.. expect this build to last a while.

Id say the only thing holding you back from future games is your gpu..
personally i would save up enough to at least get the 8800gts.

Its really worth it.

u mgiht wanna consider an x1950xt thats way better....

get the af7 from svc.com

also u don't need AS5 because MX-1 pad is already on the AF7 and u don't need thermal paste

but i would highly recommend 8 series and upgrade to 9 series, but i can't squeeze it into ur budget....

I've heard good things about Rosewill PSU's i would go with this one way cheaper still sli and more power :)
Newegg.com - Rosewill Turbo series RT550-135-SL ATX 12V ver.2.2 / EPS 12V 550W Power Supply 115/230 V UL/CUL/CB/TUV/CE - Retail

as for the CD/DVD drive i would go with this one
Newegg.com - LITE-ON Black 52X CD-R 32X CD-RW 52X CD-ROM ATAPI/E-IDE CD Burner - OEM
it doesn't have the cables with it but i'm sure that your motherboard comes with some cables if not their only like what 2 bucks?
Newegg.com - OKGEAR 18" IDE round cable,dual device,Clear Silver Model RC18IDES - OEM

Cheaper Better Ram
Newegg.com - Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail
gives you a little more head room to squeeze in some better parts but not much

vernong1992 how much more would this guy need to be able to squeak a 9 series or 8 in here?

If your gonna buy that round IDE cable get the 24 inch version, since your optical drive will prob be at the very top, and the IDE input on the motherboards are usually at the bottom, and you'll want some extra lenghth for good routing.

yeah that would probably be a better idea
but you could always put the CD/DVD drive in the bottom most 5.25" bay thats what i did because i got some short cable's from my mobo and i didn't really feel like running all the way back to Raleigh to get one or order it and wait 5 days for a stupid cable ya know?

I've heard good things about Rosewill PSU's i would go with this one way cheaper still sli and more power :)
Newegg.com - Rosewill Turbo series RT550-135-SL ATX 12V ver.2.2 / EPS 12V 550W Power Supply 115/230 V UL/CUL/CB/TUV/CE - Retail

as for the CD/DVD drive i would go with this one
Newegg.com - LITE-ON Black 52X CD-R 32X CD-RW 52X CD-ROM ATAPI/E-IDE CD Burner - OEM
it doesn't have the cables with it but i'm sure that your motherboard comes with some cables if not their only like what 2 bucks?
Newegg.com - OKGEAR 18" IDE round cable,dual device,Clear Silver Model RC18IDES - OEM

Cheaper Better Ram
Newegg.com - Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail
gives you a little more head room to squeeze in some better parts but not much

vernong1992 how much more would this guy need to be able to squeak a 9 series or 8 in here?

cheapest 8 series is 80$ but i can tell u its the 8500gt and it just.... um... stinks works :)

but 8800gts 320mb is the best bang for the buck card available now, thats 260$, as for the 9 series.. not sure on the pricing... that Rosewill RP-550 will be good, but not if u get a 9 series later.... but u might wanna look into an antec true power-trio theres one going for 90$ after MIR, and its got 650 watts (not like that matters much) but its got nice amperage on the 12v rails ... for the price anyways (i'm not one to recommend antec PSU's but here i am doing it!)

EDIt on my first post (the crucial rebate is still going on?) ya get those instead... Crucial Ballsitix RAM is amazing....

Ok I did some modifications based off of your suggestions. I changed the Mobo, and went with one recommended to me by someone who is building a similar PC. If you got input on it, let me know.

I threw the CD drive on there with the 24'' cable. I also changed the GPU to the 8800GTS. (WOOT) Changed ram to vernong's suggestion.

I added the Rosewill RP-550 on there, but I'm wondering if I will have to replace it eventually?

Let me know if you see anything else that could possibly be changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom