Gaming Build for a Canadian

Status
Not open for further replies.

UrbanNomad

Beta member
Hey guys, I'm trying to build a decent gaming rig. I was searching through deals and noticed there's a big difference in terms of prices from newegg.ca and newegg.com, even though the currency is almost equal -.-
Anyway, I found a decent deal and wanted some feedback. My budget is $1000 but that includes a monitor which I might buy seperately, I've already got an old keyboard and mouse. Also, have to get windows 7. I want something that I can upgrade down the line.

Heres the deal I found on newegg.ca

DIY kit

I don't know what GPU I should be considering, I can throw in some extra cash if its really worth it, but generally I want to keep it around 1000. Any help would be appreciated :D

Hey guys, I'm trying to build a decent gaming rig. I was searching through deals and noticed there's a big difference in terms of prices from newegg.ca and newegg.com, even though the currency is almost equal -.-
Anyway, I found a decent deal and wanted some feedback. My budget is $1000 but that includes a monitor which I might buy seperately, I've already got an old keyboard and mouse. Also, have to get windows 7. I want something that I can upgrade down the line.

Heres the deal I found on newegg.ca

DIY kit

I don't know what GPU I should be considering, I can throw in some extra cash if its really worth it, but generally I want to keep it around 1000. Any help would be appreciated :D

Someone else will probably chime in with actual build quality but if you're looking to get the best bang for your buck then don't order from newegg.ca. Instead go over to NCIX.com and order from them. They are the only ones that have a price match option. Here is what I do.

1) Figure out your build items.
2) Visit shopbot.ca and find the cheapest supplier for each component, copy down the addy and the price
3) Go to NCIX.com and add all the IDENTICAL items to your cart
4) Select the price match option when in your cart and then enter the addy and price as needed for each item that is cheaper than their price.

That should save you some $$$ and maximize your build quality. They have a few local shops in BC and the Toronto area if you'd like to pick up the order and save on shopping.

Someone else will probably chime in with actual build quality but if you're looking to get the best bang for your buck then don't order from newegg.ca. Instead go over to NCIX.com and order from them. They are the only ones that have a price match option. Here is what I do.

1) Figure out your build items.
2) Visit shopbot.ca and find the cheapest supplier for each component, copy down the addy and the price
3) Go to NCIX.com and add all the IDENTICAL items to your cart
4) Select the price match option when in your cart and then enter the addy and price as needed for each item that is cheaper than their price.

That should save you some $$$ and maximize your build quality. They have a few local shops in BC and the Toronto area if you'd like to pick up the order and save on shopping.

Oh wow, that's awesome. I was just thinking today about how great it would be to have a shop in Toronto :D this makes things alot easier.

But about the build, the problem is I have no idea where to start. Is my example in the OP good? I don't want top of the line stuff, just something to last me comfortably for about 2 years before any upgrade is required. I want to be able to play SC2 on good settings, if that's a good benchmark.

Ncix is 2 in markhem and in 1 in Scarborough.

It's not too bad... I'd add a gts 450 (130-150) or gtx 460 (190-240) , a 5770 (140-160) or 6850 (~200) card.

Yeah, I've been to all three stores, the two markham stores are basically next door to each other (one is the Ontario warehouse location), the Scarborough store is only 15 minutes away. I'm waiting for a Vaughan store...that would be great and would cost me a lot of money :p

Go with the 460 and join the folding team!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom