GAMER really needs help right now! - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Closed Thread
Old 11-28-2005, 02:44 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default GAMER really needs help right now!

If you connect your monitor to a CRT monitor using the CRT monitor to view can you play games fast on it?

Like say you bought this alienware laptop:

17" WideUXGA 1920 x 1200 LCD Clearview Display with Built-in Camera
Intel® Pentium® 4 670 Desktop Processor w/ HT Technology 3.8GHz 800MHz FSB 2MB
256MB NVidia® GeForce™ Go 7800 GTX
Intel® 915P PCI-Express Chipset
3GB Dual Channel DDR2 SO-DIMM at 533MHz - 2 x 512MB / 2 x 1024MB
Extreme Performance (RAID 0) - 240GB (120GB x 2) 5400 RPM ATA100
8X Dual Layer DVD+/-RW / 24X CD-RW Combo w/Software
Creative Sound Blaster® Audigy® 2 ZS PCMCIA
Alienware® m7700 12-cell Lithium-Ion Smart Battery Pack
Integrated 10/1000Mb Gigabit Ethernet & 56K V.92 Modem
Internal Wireless 802.11b/g miniPCI Card
USB Floppy Drive
Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional with Service Pack 2

Okay now, I heard that playing FPS games on LCD screens are bad, like the refresh rates are low for lcds, and crt monitors are awesome with FPS games because they have high refresh rates.

I want to know if you can use a really good CRT monitor with high refresh rate playing from this laptop, will it be the same as gaming from a normal desktop HIGH-end gaming system? or does the refresh rate only go as high as the laptop's lcd.

What im saying is, since the laptop's lcd has low refresh rate, can I use a CRT monitor and set it to a high refresh rate and play games fast.

I am a really hardcore insane addicting Counter-strike player that plays CS 8-10 hours a day for the last 3 years on a really ****ty Athlon xp 1600+ pc, I finally saved enough money for a high end gaming pc but then my mother said she will kick me out of the house if i bought one so I told her ill goto college next year so then she'll let me. I am going to college next year(I hope) so I was planning on buying a good laptop and a really high end gaming pc for the first time. But when I looked at the laptops, dam they are expensive! So then instead of buying a laptop and a high-end gaming system, I can buy a really high end laptop witch makes it cheaper. But then I heard about laptops having low refresh rates i wont be able to play good on the LCD, so I needed a CRT monitor with high refresh rates-I need all the FPS I can get!

Old 11-28-2005, 03:05 AM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

as long as the video card has a port coming out.
it also depends on how fast the video card itself is.
Closed Thread