Game PC Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gamer_RPK

In Runtime
I'm looking to upgrade my game pc and would like to get some input on my parts choices.

I'm keeping:
Antec P160 case
500W PSU
SB X-Fi Fatality sound card
DVD R/W

Looking to upgrade:
MOBO - ASUS M2N-E nForce 570 Ultra
CPU - AMD 4600+ (2.4 GHz)
(Video Card 1 or 2?)
Video 1 - e-GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB PCI-E x16
Video 2 - e-GeForce 8800 GTS Superclocked 640MB PCI-E x16
(Video Card 1 or 2?)
HD - WD Caviar SE16 250GB 7,200RPM SATA-300

MEM - I have two 1 GB sticks of PC2-4400. I'm not too sure if the mobo will work with it, I'm thinking about adding mem to the parts list too.

I'm looking to get 3 HD's and set them up in a RAID 5 array and use part of it for fualt tollarent network storage for my self.
I was hoping to spend around a thousand dollars on this.

Get a single 8800GTX...SLI is not worth it.

I would go Core 2 Duo as it faster than the X2's and with a powerful card your going to want all the CPU power you can get.

OH, sorry. Let me clarify that. I'm not setting up SLI, I was wondering if getting the "superclocked" one was worth it.
And I've always had AMD for my game machine, I'm a little partial to it.

Just get the non-overclocked version, and overclock it yourself for free.

Don't get the superclocked version as you can just take a regular version and overclock it yourself far beyond what they clock theirs to.

Don't be a Fanboy to one company if you want good gaming.

The X2's are not slow granted but the Core 2 Duos when overclocked are quite a bit faster than the X2s. With a card such as an 8800GTS you would be best to get a Core 2 Duo probably.

I hate to say it, but i don't really plan on overclocking. unless it's changed in the last few years i never found the benefits of a couple more MHz worth having a possibly unstable core. I had a hard enough time with heat on the current core w/o overclocking.
And the overclocked one is only another 20 bucks; it'll give me all of 75MHz.

(Thanks for the input keep it come'n)

Any opinions on the brands?

Things HAVE changes since years ago.

My 7900GS which is stock 450/630 is STABLE at 615/845

I get about 23% more FPS than stock. My card keeps up with a 7900GTX which is ALOT more.

My E63300 is stable at 3.22ghz and beats the Core 2 Extreme's...

Things are made on a lower size fabrication process so they give off a lot less heat. Cooling as gotten a lot better since then too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom