Game desktop (help a brother out!)

"this comes up alot with asus motherboards, heres my fix. check the sensor is
not at fault
What sensor would it be?

bootup the computer and let it sit on the chassis intrusion message for 5 seconds press the power button once (don't hold it in, flick the psu switch or pull the power cable out)

So I just press the power button once (which will make it shut down) then I have to flick the power button (on the power supply unit, the corsair tx650).

wait until it shuts down , and then remove the power cable, wait 15 seconds plug it back in and power it up, all should be good."

Then I have to pull out the power cable (out of the socket on my wall or out of the power supply?)

Problem is you may have to close up the case.

Not really that big of a problem but I tried that (without the rest of the ritual) and I got nothing.

Still, worth a shot. Thanks for helping me.

One question though -- if this is so common for Asus motherboards then why aren't there any fixes around? This strikes me as odd. If Asus knows of the problem then why don't they give instructions (or if the product's faulty, fix their product) to fix it?

I honestly have no idea about the sensor, they were dealing with a different (maybe older) motherboard, so it may not apply to you.

I would just flick the PSU switch instead of both doing that and pressing the case's power button (seems redundant).

Just pull the power cord out of the PSU. The goal is to deplete the motherboard of any lingering power that may be left.

Major Rawne said:
One question though -- if this is so common for Asus motherboards then why aren't there any fixes around? This strikes me as odd. If Asus knows of the problem then why don't they give instructions (or if the product's faulty, fix their product) to fix it?
In all fairness, this is first time I've heard of this problem, and I've owned a number of ASUS boards with this problem not present. I can't imagine this a really common problem, but obviously it's one that more than 1 person has had.

Didn't work :/

Just my luck that I have to deal with this nuisance. I'm really at my wit's end here. I've spent way too many hours on a build that takes normal people 4 hours or something at max. And then I have to deal with this nonsense. :/

Do you have anything plugged into the connector pins next to the chassis intrusion pins?

If it keeps going off, then something has to be tripping it. You could also try unplugging the chassis fan(s), clearing the CMOS, then see if it happens again.

What sensor would it be?

So I just press the power button once (which will make it shut down) then I have to flick the power button (on the power supply unit, the corsair tx650).

Then I have to pull out the power cable (out of the socket on my wall or out of the power supply?)

Not really that big of a problem but I tried that (without the rest of the ritual) and I got nothing.

Still, worth a shot. Thanks for helping me.

I honestly have no idea about the sensor, they were dealing with a different (maybe older) motherboard, so it may not apply to you.

I would just flick the PSU switch instead of both doing that and pressing the case's power button (seems redundant).

Just pull the power cord out of the PSU. The goal is to deplete the motherboard of any lingering power that may be left.

In all fairness, this is first time I've heard of this problem, and I've owned a number of ASUS boards with this problem not present. I can't imagine this a really common problem, but obviously it's one that more than 1 person has had.

I have heard of this, and their inability to fix minor customer problems is why I don't recommend them anymore.

If it is still tripped with the case actually closed then you could be dealing with a problematic board. Case intrusion shouldn't cause any problems with normal operation actually. Should just give you a warning then continue boot/install.

I think I fixed it but I'm not entirely sure. I actually switched the jumper to the two pins below the ones I shorted before and then did a CMOS reset. The manual says these are for something else but guess what... it booted a first time (as it did before) and then when I "saved and quit" it actually booted again, prompting me to press a button. Now I'm back to installing windows... hopefully this is a permanent fix.

And now let's hope I don't have the same 2% problem with windows anymore...

Thanks for being so patient with me guys (ten pages long already)! It's been rough but without you guys I would've never gotten this far. This community here is one of the most supportive and well-knowledged on the net. Thanks!

I think I fixed it but I'm not entirely sure. I actually switched the jumper to the two pins below the ones I shorted before and then did a CMOS reset. The manual says these are for something else but guess what... it booted a first time (as it did before) and then when I "saved and quit" it actually booted again, prompting me to press a button. Now I'm back to installing windows... hopefully this is a permanent fix.
I think we were just talking about something close to the tune of "don't trust the writing on the motherboard that the manufacturer puts on there" a couple of days ago on a different topic.

Well honestly it was my nooby mistake. I pulled off all the jumpers when looking for the second chassis fan pins... I thought they were just plastic covers to keep the pins safe. It was only a moment later (when looking through the manual) that I realized they were important. So then I tried to fit them back and I guess there was some kind of mistake in the manual. I did try it on the right pins before but never with an CMOS reset. Also, I shut down the PC again and rebooted it. It still works.

EDIT: it seems my problem with the windows 8 install persists. Now it's stuck at 1%. I'm pretty sure the disc is readable so it must be the DVD-drive. I've removed the SATA-cable and put it in another SATA-port on the mobo but it's still the same.

Last edited:
I think we were just talking about something close to the tune of "don't trust the writing on the motherboard that the manufacturer puts on there" a couple of days ago on a different topic.
Yup.

Well honestly it was my nooby mistake. I pulled off all the jumpers when looking for the second chassis fan pins... I thought they were just plastic covers to keep the pins safe. It was only a moment later (when looking through the manual) that I realized they were important. So then I tried to fit them back and I guess there was some kind of mistake in the manual. I did try it on the right pins before but never with an CMOS reset. Also, I shut down the PC again and rebooted it. It still works.
Could have just asked. I have no problem outlining things on a picture for people.

Back
Top Bottom