(G92)8800GTS Hits the Egg HURRY!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crysis is only 40 bucks. I think i may order 1 GTS and replace my 2 GT's, SLI is annoying me as its not supported well enough.

Well over here in Canada it's $59.99 :| Should I just put a huge canadian flag in my sig so everybody knows I'm Canadian??

Funny enough though, the G92 GTS w/ Crysis is $359.99 here too

Merkwürdigliebe;1254069 said:
Well it has more shaders enabled and it runs a lot faster, therefore more heat, plus I'm sure it runs cooler than the GT does

I think this might answer my own question, lol.

The card's fan continues to be mounted offset of the graphics core for greater efficiency and longer life, although now the fan is mounted lower than the rest of the body of the heatsink. In addition, the fan is tilted at an angle away from the GPU towards the power circuitry on the right edge of the PCB of the graphics board. Hot air from the card's fan is still exhausted outside the case.

So why did NVIDIA's engineers decide to indent and tilt the fan? Our guess is that this change was made to improve airflow when two cards are combined together for SLI. As we've mentioned numerous times in the past, with conventional SLI cooling setups, the uppermost card runs hotter than the bottom card. This is because airflow going into the top card is restricted by the card directly beneath it. By shifting the fan so that it's mounted lower on the board, NVIDIA manages to squeeze a few extra millimeters for the card's fan to draw in more air, and thus help keep temps lower. Another change you'll notice is that the shroud runs the entire length of the board and isn't enclosed on the right side, this allows air from the fan to run over the capacitors and other VRM on the right edge of the board. On previous GeForce 8800 GTS and GTX cards these components weren't actively cooled by the GPU fan.

GeForce 8800 GTS 512MB Performance Preview

So my GTs have speeds of 650/1900 and is based on the same architecture and has the same memory...what else is different from the "new" GTS that warrants $70?

You get an extra 'S'!

More stream stream processors, I guess. It is a good point, the pricing is seemingly less based upon the relative performance of the cards, and more to do with 'it fills the hole in the price bracket'. Depends on whether you think the extra performance is worth $70.

I'm thinking that these might overclock a bit better than the GT. Anyone know if they do?

lol...an extra S! That's great! Anyway, seems like Nvidia is just milking the market right now. They don't really have strong competition from ATI so I guess they don't have to worry about it.

No, I really wouldn't think GT owners should care at all. Its more an option for new buyers and stepup idiots like me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom