G80 taped out with 32 pixel pipes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waphlez

Fully Optimized
Nvidia finally got a successful silicon G80 chip out and this sets the G80 to be released somewhere in September. It will have 32 pixel pipelines and 16 vertex and geometry shaders. The Inquirer (where I got this information; theinq.net) thinks that Nvidia can clock it up to 700mhz.

As far as ATI's R600 which uses the unified shader approach will be Novemberish. This also means that ATI will need to launch their R580+ (which will be called the X1950 XT and X1950 XTX) before G80's launch if they don't want to be crushed by Nvidia on the spot. All three (G80, R580+, and R600) will be using GDDR4 memory and the G80/R600 will be using DirectX 10.

So far it's too early to tell if either the R600 or G80 will be stronger then each other and the R600 does have a 6-8 week release date after the G80 so they may still have time to tune up the R600.

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=32768
http://theinq.net/default.aspx?article=32856

Oof. DDR 4. Wow. That'll be used for RAM in.... 4 years? :p

I'm willing to bet 50 cows (since I'm in Texas, ya'll) that Beefcake is rejoicing. Let's hope EVGA Step-Up doesn't screw him over.

I am waiting for the R600 to come out to see if nVidia is truly going to crush ATI, because the "r580+" is just a gimmick card on ATI's part. By the way, what is the naming of the G80 cards?? Last I heard, it was supposed be 88xx

well im guessing like the G70s, it will follow suite, and becalled the 8800GT/GTX

will this cause any major price drop for the 7900 models? or the older x1*** series of ati?

-Jo.

if it does, SWEET! because late august or early september im gonna be buliding my rig, and by then ill be albe to get conroe, so then ill buy a cheaper 7900GT, then save money after a couple months to see which to get, the R600 or G80, in their 2nd gen production i guess. well G80s second gen, but not the R600

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom