FX 6300 - 2013 Gaming?

Ornamexito

Baseband Member
Hello, i am planning on upgrading my processor to a FX 6300 3.5GHz (4.1 Turbo). I have a low budget and this CPU fits perfectly into it, but would it be good enough for gaming in 2013/2014? Im talking about games like Far Cry3, Crysis3, GTA 5, Watch Dogs and other.
P.S I don't really need to play in Ultra settings, so that doesn't bother me.

Yeah but i still quite like the card, and it will do for now. I will get a new card once i have money for it, but as well as upgrading the processor i will get a new motherboard and another 4GB of RAM to my system which will make me happy.
But my question is, is the 6300 any good for gaming for this and next year

Well, you're losing an actual core if that means anything. The Bulldozer FX chips were slower at gaming than the Phenom 2 and Vishera improves on that. Hence why I said, you should just use that money on your GPU instead. It's the only real limiting factor right now for gaming. If you had about 200 bucks to spend you could get a 660 which is quite a bit faster than your 550ti and you would see a huge improvement in gaming over getting the 6300 setup.

IMO if you wanted to replace everything, an IB 3330 chip would be a better buy, or wait for the Haswell lower end chips to be released and get a 3570k for less than 200 bucks. Both of those would be a better CPU upgrade path over the 6300.

Overclock you CPU to 4GHZ and leave AMD Cool n' Quite on so your not always on 4GHZ. Go with the GPU upgrade, you would be better off saving the money you would spend on RAM and use that money towards the GPU. I mean 8GB of RAM is nice but when I play games I never use more than 4GB. I am usually at 1.5 when doing nothing, so 2.5 GB of RAM left over I would say is enough for gaming(If you don't leave everything open).

I have the Cooler master Hyper 212 Evo also, and the highest I have seen my temps was while running Furmark and Heavyload at the same time, I was at 54C. On stock clocks without the EVO I am at 62C. I also applied Arctic Silver.
Don't waste your money on a new CPU. If you do grab a new CPU wait til you have $40 more and get a i5 350p.

Alright, il save up a bit more and get the 660ti, as well as overclocking my P2. Thanks for helping

Overclock you CPU to 4GHZ and leave AMD Cool n' Quite on so your not always on 4GHZ. Go with the GPU upgrade, you would be better off saving the money you would spend on RAM and use that money towards the GPU. I mean 8GB of RAM is nice but when I play games I never use more than 4GB. I am usually at 1.5 when doing nothing, so 2.5 GB of RAM left over I would say is enough for gaming(If you don't leave everything open).

I have the Cooler master Hyper 212 Evo also, and the highest I have seen my temps was while running Furmark and Heavyload at the same time, I was at 54C. On stock clocks without the EVO I am at 62C. I also applied Arctic Silver.
Don't waste your money on a new CPU. If you do grab a new CPU wait til you have $40 more and get a i5 350p.
I have to disagree, he should get more RAM if he is running DDR3. Another 4GB would be perfect. You can get by with 4GB yes, easy, but a lot of people don't turn off everything running in the background.

That list is more relevant now because the 660 is lower than 200 bucks.

The CPU list gives a good indication of why I prefer the IB CPUs over even the 4300. Although, I believe you can get an 8350 for less than 200 now too.

I do turn off everything that i dont need when gaming, but i do host servers a lot when playing with friends and i also multi task so i would like another 4gb, but that will have to go on a new motherboard with a new CPU (fx 6300 is what i wanted) which i will upgrade to later on.

If your board is DDR3 right now it would be wise to grab an 8GB 1600 kit now because DDR3 prices are only going to raise from here on. That kit will be transferrable to whatever you decide to upgrade to later on. Of which I advise, if you are saving for a decent budget to avoid the FX series.

Back
Top Bottom