FX-60...Overkill? - Page 6 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: Would you put your keyboard through the dishwasher?
Yes 6 50.00%
No 6 50.00%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-02-2006, 10:43 AM   #51 (permalink)
PowerQuest / Opera
 
TheMajor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 10,177
Default

What's the difference between these? Does the FX-60 have a higher default multiplier?
Why do the voltages differ?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ubCategory=343
__________________

__________________
TheMajorMMX - Intel P200 MMX @ 225Mhz - V-Tech (PcPartner) Baby-AT mb w/ Intel Triton TX chipset - Nvidia Riva TNT2 M64 w/ 16MB - 256MB M-Tec SDRAM - Still running.....
TheMajor is offline  
Old 03-02-2006, 10:53 AM   #52 (permalink)
Monster Techie
 
idiotec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,748
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by TheMajor
What's the difference between these? Does the FX-60 have a higher default multiplier?
Why do the voltages differ?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ubCategory=343
The 4800+ runs at 2.4 Ghz and the FX-60 runs at 2.6GHz.

Sp 200x12 and 200x13 respectively.
__________________

__________________

BE HEARD - Techonvent
DS3 | E6400 - 3.2GHz 24/7 | 2GB OCZ PLat. PC6400 | 6800GT | Zippy 460W
What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left.
idiotec is offline  
Old 03-02-2006, 10:56 AM   #53 (permalink)
True Techie
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 202
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by TheMajor
What's the difference between these? Does the FX-60 have a higher default multiplier?
Why do the voltages differ?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ubCategory=343
From what I understand the FX series is geared towards heavy gaming and is optimized for that as the X2 is geared more for content creation. And the 4800+ has a 200MHZ slower clock speed.
bryan64 is offline  
Old 03-02-2006, 11:02 AM   #54 (permalink)
PowerQuest / Opera
 
TheMajor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 10,177
Default

Well, they have the same core and same cache, so the only difference seems to be the multiplier wich is unlocked upwards.
__________________
TheMajorMMX - Intel P200 MMX @ 225Mhz - V-Tech (PcPartner) Baby-AT mb w/ Intel Triton TX chipset - Nvidia Riva TNT2 M64 w/ 16MB - 256MB M-Tec SDRAM - Still running.....
TheMajor is offline  
Old 03-02-2006, 12:43 PM   #55 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,327
Send a message via AIM to Flanker
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by bryan64
...without the hassle of O/C'ing. Does his mean I will not dabble in O/C'ing... no. Do I necessarily want to... also no.

O/C'ing is the nitrous of the computer world. To use the old hot rod adage... I prefer my speed to be naturally aspirated. No gimmicks, no fuss.

So not wanting to O/C and wanting to buy the FX-60 neither makes me an idiot or excessively rich. Because I am neither.
HAHA, idiot. You seem semi-intelligent so you could probably overclock if you wanted. But the fact that you aren't rich, and are STILL buying a FX-60 makes baby Jesus cry.

OC'ing is nothing like nitro. With nitro, you're adding something to the car to make it go faster, something potentially dangerous that could negatively affect the car. Overclocking is more like turning a knob and raising the horsepower of an underpowered car.

Maybe you should learn a little bit about overclocking. Every processor has a limit. When it's being fabricated, AMD gives it a designation much lower than the highest limit. The processor might be capable and stable at 2.8GHz, but AMD will underclock it to 2.2GHz to be sure, and to make sure that it will work at stock voltages. That means that there is a lot of breathing room for the stable operation of the car.

Maybe this will get through to your little skull. How about you buy a C6 Corvette. 400BHP. Now lets say that, during production, the horsepower was restricted to 300BHP. When you get the car, you took away whatever could have been restricting the horsepower (more of a software thing. A restrictor plate would be different). So now you have a 400BHP car that is SUPPOSED to be running at 400BPH. Hmm, I wonder.

Don't tell me not to flame this guy, this is ridiculous.
Flanker is offline  
Old 03-02-2006, 02:43 PM   #56 (permalink)
Super Techie
 
Dante_Caligari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 444
Send a message via MSN to Dante_Caligari
Default

My thoughts on this matter:

If you have the money, I do not believe that there is any reason why you wouldn't buy the FX-60. Some people don't like to overclock, despite the fact that you can get the same speeds as higher cost processors for alot less money. I do not see anything wrong with that.

If you don't have the money, then the prices may seem absurd, and you may stick to lower-end processors, and overclock, saving money. I don't see anything wrong with that either.

I also agree that there is no such thing as too much power in a PC. Personally, I am saving for a server motherboard with four CPU slots, four dual-core processors, and 16GB of RAM. I don't care.

Everyone is different. Some like to overclock, others don't. Some have 1000$ burning a hole in their pockets to spend on a FX-60. I say more power to them. For those of us that don't, well, maybe we can be happy just feeling a little more shrewd than the rest of the world
__________________
<img src="http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e372/dante_caligari/newsig_7_expL.jpg">
<font face=tahoma color=red size=1>Knowledge is power.</font></td></table>
Dante_Caligari is offline  
Old 03-02-2006, 03:20 PM   #57 (permalink)

Triforcer
 
Baez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 6,987
Default

my thoughts exactly
__________________


Baez is offline  
Old 03-02-2006, 03:24 PM   #58 (permalink)
Master Techie
 
RicoDirenzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 2,102
Default

Like I should build a pentium D extreme Smithfield for $1100! LOL! I'm not doing anything big until Vista, DX10 are the standards.
__________________
Noli Nothis Permittere Te Terere!!
EVGA 680i, Dual EVGA 8800GT'S (650/950), 4 gigs OCZ DDR2 1066, Intel Q9450 at 3.8 Ghz, Koolance Water Cooled, Dual Plextor16x DL DVD+/-RW. Dual WD 250gb 16mb Cache Sata 3.0. 3DMark06 score = 19,168.
RicoDirenzo is offline  
Old 03-02-2006, 03:38 PM   #59 (permalink)
Monster Techie
 
Waphlez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ohio, United States
Posts: 1,976
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Flanker
OC'ing is nothing like nitro. With nitro, you're adding something to the car to make it go faster, something potentially dangerous that could negatively affect the car. Overclocking is more like turning a knob and raising the horsepower of an underpowered car.
exactly, you aren't adding anything when you overclock.
Waphlez is offline  
Old 03-02-2006, 06:48 PM   #60 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,327
Send a message via AIM to Flanker
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Dante_Caligari
My thoughts on this matter:

If you have the money, I do not believe that there is any reason why you wouldn't buy the FX-60. Some people don't like to overclock, despite the fact that you can get the same speeds as higher cost processors for alot less money. I do not see anything wrong with that.

If you don't have the money, then the prices may seem absurd, and you may stick to lower-end processors, and overclock, saving money. I don't see anything wrong with that either.

I also agree that there is no such thing as too much power in a PC. Personally, I am saving for a server motherboard with four CPU slots, four dual-core processors, and 16GB of RAM. I don't care.

Everyone is different. Some like to overclock, others don't. Some have 1000$ burning a hole in their pockets to spend on a FX-60. I say more power to them. For those of us that don't, well, maybe we can be happy just feeling a little more shrewd than the rest of the world
Kudos for an excellent post.
__________________

Flanker is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.