fx-57 vs. 4800?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lazer_viking

In Runtime
I'm thinking about selling my trusty old fx-57 for a x2 4800+? What do you guys think? I made this decision shortly after my fx-57 scored ~5000 mflops on a benchmark and my friends x2 4400+ scored somewhere above 14000 mflops. Even now, I don't understand why he beat me so badly, almost tripled my score. Wth? Maybe I'm under estimating the power of dual core? Or the the fact he had 64kb more of L1 cache? Would that really affect the score that much? Because the equation "2.2 GHz + 2.2 GHz = 4.4 GHz = not 3.0GHz(3)" (my fx-57 is OC'd 200MHz). I know that right now, for gaming, an fx-57 wins, but later on down the road the dual core is going to own and my fx-57 isn't exactly increasing in value...... lol........ *a tear falls*.
I didn't know dual core had that much of an advantage or I would've went with a dual core right away.
Some more questions I have about dual core would be stuff like.... Can Windows XP utilize the dual coreness? Like, for example, I do a LOT of video transcoding (every week another Naruto and Bleach episode comes out and I have to transcode it for my ipod. It takes a good 8-10 minutes with my OC'd fx-57) and file compression (usually ~2 GB at a time... so it's a lot).
Any thoughts?

Before upgrading anything I strongly recommend that anyone take a few seconds and ask themselves, does my current computer do everything I need it to do?

Don't do that. Try to go a different direction. Conroes are nice very nice maybe you should get that. IF you dont, get the 4800 because you will have your walet ful of money.

gaara said:
Before upgrading anything I strongly recommend that anyone take a few seconds and ask themselves, does my current computer do everything I need it to do?

**** straight. Unless upgrading is a hobby :) .

But yeah if you are going to upgrade go for a 4400 (can oc past 4800 speeds no problem)....or go all out and go conroe

Lazer_viking's conscience: Does my computer do everything I need it to do?
Lazer_viking: Well, yah.... but....
Lazer_viking's conscience: Then why are you considering an upgrade?
Lazer_viking: Well, because I want to do stuff faster.
Lazer_viking's conscience: Are you sure the 4800+ is going to do stuff faster?
Lazer_viking: I'm not sure about dual core. That's why I asked on the forum.
Lazer_viking's conscience: Well what did they say?
Lazer_viking: They said I had to ask myself, "Does my current computer do everything I need it to do?". So that's why I asked you.
Lazer_viking's conscience: Oh, well find out about this dual core stuff some more and then we can decide for ourselves if we need to upgrade.

-------------

I asked myself, and he said before he could make a decision he wanted to know about dual-core then we will make the decision ourselves wether or not I need to upgrade. So any thoughts on FX-57 vs. 4800+? Wait, isn't that what this post was about anyway?

edit: wow three people posted while I was typing this... I didnt even spend that long on it either.

gurusan said:
**** straight. Unless upgrading is a hobby :) .

But yeah if you are going to upgrade go for a 4400 (can oc past 4800 speeds no problem)....or go all out and go conroe

Upgrading is a hobby.
4400 can OC to a 4800, but then that means a 4800 can OC even higher.

Dr DMoney said:
Well, no, it doesn't help me decide. I've stuck with AMD because I know their GHz system. I don't know how to compare an AMD to an Intel. I know that intel have faster clocks, but execute less instructions per clock. So a 2GHz intel gets beaten by a 1.6 GHz AMD. Does anyone know the "formula" for AMD -> intel clocks?

edit: by the way, the I cry at that 32kb+32kb L1 cache on the e6300... pathetic imho.

The thing he wants to do it to have the fastest amd chip out there. My responce is this, Intel has it. If you want to sell your fx chip for a 4800 you are out of your mind. Not because you want to change it is because you bout the fx chip in the first place. They are not worth it and yes the 4800 is surperior to the fx chip you now have. But if you are going to get a new chip just through in a motherborad with is and go conroe. Please go conroe, you will be so happy with it. I know intel doesn't have pc builders hearts but once you see it in power your friend would be so god damm jelos he will probally buy the thing as well. Atleast look into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom