future proof cases?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean W.

Fully Optimized
So i really dont like my case, i didnt really get to pick it cause i paid a guy to built this computer for me ( regret that decision with ever fiber of my being ) and he just used the basic case he uses for all his builds, and that just what this case is, a basic case.

so i was thinking about getting a new case and just moving my computer into it, i really like the Antec 300, but, then i was wondering, if i get a case that i really like and that has a ton of growing room it could be my case for a really long time, so i was thinking about getting the big brother, the Antec 1200.

i just got into this hobby and so i dont know how fast things change. Basically my question is if i shell out the extra cash for the Antec 1200, will all the mounting holes and everything support future builds, or like hardware, Cases change constantly?

The antec 1200 is a very good case and will last you a while. just pick a good case you enjoy looking at. they dont change often unless you do a complete new build

All cases go by a few standards, fulltower, midtower, and so on.

But a general rule of thumb, make sure the case supports Micro ATX, and Full ATX, as those, are the two most common motherboard sizes. Beyond that, you have options, such as internal 3.5 drive bays, external 5.25 drive bays and so on. The internal 3.5 bays are used for hard drives, while the 5.25 are for cd/dvd drives.

Then you can get into the fancy cases that have removable this and that.

My only recommendation would be to get a full tower case, like the 1200. Just because full tower cases are, in my opinion, so much easier to work in. And also there is more room for adding things, such as larger video cards, large air coolers, and watercooling, in the future. Other than that just pick a case that you like the look of, and will still like the look of in 5 years.

I've had no problems with my 1200, I have a lot crammed into it and did some extra work for better wire management. You can see the build and get some looks at the case from my build thread, click the link in my sig if you want.

It had plenty of room for upgrading, lots of fans. I'd recommend it if that's your price range. The one thing is that it's a bit tight with larger video cards.

The down side is that at the end of the day it does have a lot of plastic and I'm a fan of aluminum....but aluminum costs money. It' also very big so if your space is limited or you do a lo of LANing then the 1200 minght not be for you.

Good luck!

I like the look of the Antec 900, it's cheaper than the 1200 but it's a mid tower. I've seen one in person and I've read a lot of reviews, eventually decided to buy one for my new build but I should get it later today. The main things you want are ATX (not micro ATX, a microATX board fits in an ATX case but not the other way around), plenty of drive bays, good cooling (Antec's cases are really good about airflow, the 900 has a large 200mm top mounted fan for additional heat removal and I'm sure others have similar designs.

The only issue is the PSU is bottom mounted. This is weird coming from top mounted PSU cases but I think it probably improves airflow (cool air moves to the bottom for the PSU, and the PSU isn't interfering with the top fan).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom