future gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

dafunkmon

Baseband Member
hi i have some money saved and i want to buy a new core 2 duo 2.4 ghz and 8800 gts, but ive heard of new amd cores coming out soon and new ati cards coming soon too, plus some new amazing titles that are coming out during christmass, and my specs:
core 2 duo 1.86 4mb cache
2 gigs ram
8600gts
so my point is should i buy the new core 2 duo 2.4 and 8800gts, or wait a little longer and buy the new amd and ati cards coming out soon?
also which is better the 8800's or the 2900's, becuz i hear mixed reviews?

Agreed with Trotter. Your current system can last you, until the new arrivals, are released.

Right now the high end 8 series are better. Although the 2900s have been improving significantly.

Unless you really need to upgrade, wait. The 9800GTX will be out before Christmas as well as the AMD Phenom and Intel 45nm chips.

The 8800 Ultra is currently the best card.

well what ive got is only midrange and cant play all my games with high resolution and still have good fps, i was thinking of upgrading soon before cod4 came out, what new gpu's will come out during now and christmass and will they be WAY better than the 8800 and 2900?

The high end of the 9 series should come out at the end of the year but they'll be $400+. I don't think ATI will have anything by Christmas..

I wouldn't upgrade now.. Just give your 8600 a good overclock and it'll run quite a bit faster and you can get your cpu to 2.4 easily as well. You most likely won't even have to touch the voltage, just increase your fsb, test for stability and make sure temps aren't too high and you're good.

The high end of the 9 series should come out at the end of the year but they'll be $400+. I don't think ATI will have anything by Christmas..

I wouldn't upgrade now.. Just give your 8600 a good overclock and it'll run quite a bit faster and you can get your cpu to 2.4 easily as well. You most likely won't even have to touch the voltage, just increase your fsb, test for stability and make sure temps aren't too high and you're good.

i agree.... might wanna push both ur CPU and GPU, i hear that the 8600gts are good overclockers..... and we all know core 2 duos are good ones as well

ive always wanted to overclock but im a little hesitant, are there any guides for noobies and if i do overclock will i get a substantial performance boost and will i need any extra components?

ive always wanted to overclock but im a little hesitant, are there any guides for noobies and if i do overclock will i get a substantial performance boost and will i need any extra components?

This guide should be easy enough to understand:
HOWTO: Overclock C2Q (Quads) and C2D (Duals) - A Guide v1.1

If not, you're always welcome to ask us.

By overclocking, especially with C2Ds, you really unlock so much performance. My stock 2.13GHz compared to my overclocked 3.2GHz is like day and night. I will never go back.

The recommended part to get, when overclocking, is an aftermarket CPU cooler. And since you have a C2D, look no further, than the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro.

well if you have the money for a new proc and vid card you can always combine for a 9 series, the 9800gts will be little over $400, and if you overclock your processor you should be fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom