Future Computer Specs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackheart

Solid State Member
These arn't the final specs but they are pretty close to what the computer will have.

CPU
Mobo
GPU
CD Burner
DVD Burner
RAM [times] 4
Main HDD
Other HDD
Case
PSU

Here on down are just ideas I'm tossing around and some cool things I found while making this list of things that I'll most likely be getting.

Most likely will use to cool my CPU
Chipset cooler?
I might use this to help cool my CPU but not sure...
Not getting this but just look at this GPU 1GB!

So what do you think of the specs? Anything you'd do different? And also what do you think of the 2 CPU coolers I found..

Alright, I just tallied up the items and all together (not including the cpu cooling) it will be $2,322.87 so if I get a budget of ohhhh lets say $3000 I will most likely bump my cpu cooling up to water cooling and possibly (not sure havn't looked to see if this even exists yet) video card water cooling (once again only if such a thing exists) and then I'll probably get some HDD fans and maybe 1 or 2 more case fans. :)

Don't buy 4GB of RAM, buy only 2GB. It has been said over and over, XP barely uses 3GB well, and 2GB in dual channel is more then enough for todays new games.

The 512MB videocard is overkill for gaming, 256MB is just right. Now if you do graphics rendering like autocad or something, that's understandable but I'd get a different card for that.

Oh no, no no no, that 1GB card is senseless. Trust me, more ram doesn't always mean better performace, very common misconeption. The GPU's architecture, pipe lines, and clock speeds are what matter.

So, the 1GB of RAM on the GPU is DEFINITELLY overkill, and the 512MB is on the brink of it. 256MB is suitable for todays gaming needs, especially on the 7900GT.

Other then that, everything looks awesome. But saving the money with a 256MB card, I'd buy the 4800+ instead of the 4600+ for that extra squeeze of performance.

cpu - not worth it , your better off taking opteron 165 , it will save you alot of $$ , it have bigger L2 cache , and it overclocks like a dream and the stock heatsink is very good even for overclocking

mobo - if you plan using SLI in the future , your better off taking a mobo that supports the new X16 SLI (ano no it got nothin to do with the 16x pci-e slot) i recommend msi k8n diamond plus

video card - only 1yr warranty , better get the evga/bfg branded , and i agree with mnelson07 you can defintly settle for 7900gt its more then enough

cd burner - do you really need this? the dvd burner can burn cds too , your better off taking a dvd-rom or combo instead , cuz the dvd burner will last longer if youll use another drive for reading/ripping dvds/cds

dvd burner - not sure about that , you shouldnt buy it blindly , better check dvd burner reviews on these sites and decide whats best to get
http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Reviews/Home.aspx?CategoryId=1
http://www.cdrlabs.com/
http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/search/B/

ram - 4gb is an overkill , and why would you take ram with cas3 it aint performance wise , i suggest youll get g.skill 2gb pc3200 dual channel kit (model F1-3200BIU2-2GBHX) excellent for overclocking and with low timings

main hd - better get cooling for it , it will run hot , i recommend http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835119063 , might wanna get the 150gb raptor if you can afford it

second hd - better take 2x seagate 300gb sata2 16mb cache or 2x western digital 320gb sata2 16mb cache , will save you some $$ + bigger capacity

case - excellent choice , but might wanna get a full tower case it will be much more "roomy"
psu - ocz powerstream 520w will be a much better bang for the buck (newegg have it for 109.99$ after rebate)

Looks good, might want to consider a different CPU cooler like the Thermaltake Big Typhoon. It's widely considered to be the best HSF on the market now.

Yeah I have the 512mb card since I intend on getting another 512 in the future when there are more games that would have much higher standards for proformance. The 4gb of RAM is for when Vista comes out. But thanks for the help, I'm going to take everything in consideration, I'll probably still get a 512mb card but maybe I'll get a different brand and then I might settle for 2gb of RAM for now, and then I'll definatly get the fans for the HDD. I don't know about the Mobo though, I like the one I found and honestly, if I have 2 x512mb GPU's in the comp. I should be fine for atleast 3 years, probably more. But I'm going to probably get a faster CPU but it'll still be dual core, I dont intend on OCing this comp much if at all. Also I really don't need a BIG HDD I only have 15gb of stuff on my comp right now. So pretty much the extra HDD is just overkill but I'm gong to look at newegg and see if they have the raptor that runs at 15,000rpm

no raptors are 10k rpm. the only 15k rpm drives are scsi and you don't really want to mess with them. i don't see 512mb cards ever really becoming a necessity with pci-e. the only time that it might come close to fully utilising 256mb i think that the high bi-directional bandwidth of pci-e will save you. dont bother with 4gb of ram for now. you WILL NOT need it for some time unless you are doing high end video work. in fact the only version of windows that would fully support that much memory is server 2003 and that won't help you much. true x64 does support that much memory but it is said to not adress it properly and can apparently in fact be detrimental to performance

Yeah, I'm not sure, I have a bit of time to do more research, and I could have swore I saw a raptor that was 15k, ehhhhh oh well.

nitestick said:
no raptors are 10k rpm. the only 15k rpm drives are scsi and you don't really want to mess with them. i don't see 512mb cards ever really becoming a necessity with pci-e. the only time that it might come close to fully utilising 256mb i think that the high bi-directional bandwidth of pci-e will save you. dont bother with 4gb of ram for now. you WILL NOT need it for some time unless you are doing high end video work. in fact the only version of windows that would fully support that much memory is server 2003 and that won't help you much. true x64 does support that much memory but it is said to not adress it properly and can apparently in fact be detrimental to performance

AMD64 supports up to 128gb of ram.

its the operating system that cant handle it.

Blackheart said:
Yeah, I'm not sure, I have a bit of time to do more research, and I could have swore I saw a raptor that was 15k, ehhhhh oh well.

10k rpm drives are really loud. you would get the same performance from a raid 0 w/ 4 250gb sata2 7200rpm drives.

you'd save a lot of money, and it wouldnt be as loud. if you want redundancy, put them in raid 5. you'd still get slightly increased performance.

plus with 4 of them you wouldnt need the "other hdd" because if they're in raid 0 thats 1TB and in raid 5 i think it'd be ~650gb

Monarch computer is having a big sale this weekend and I saw some of hte same parts you listed for much cheaper.

I also agree that your CPU is a big waste of money. Overclock a Opteron 165 and you will get much better performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom