The Future Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

dimtrap

Solid State Member
My next step is college which meaans a new computer for me. My school said I had too much money to recieve a laptop scholarship so now I've taken a whole new approach. Originally I was planning on buying a Lenovo Thinkpad W500 from the school for about $1800. Instead I'm going to get a netbook which I'm simply getting the best for $400 (and is not the point of this post) and a high end pc for $1400.

More to the point I want the best gaming desktop you can buy roughly $1400. I've researched and looked at different parts and there are a few things I am certain about taht I will just list.

processor: intel i7 920
RAM: 6 GB DDR3
GPU: here is what I am not so certain about. Do I get two 9800 or one GTX 275 that can have another one added on to it later when the price comes down.

Windows Vista Home Premium must be on it but that is it as far as software is concerned I am pretty sure.

I want to be able to play Empire: Total War at max performance and the pc must last 4 years (college) and still be decent.

Thanks ahead of time. I get flooded by all the choices when I try to custom build one so it would be jsut perfect if I could get that personal expert advice.

-dimtrap

for 1400 you could have two options, one gtx 285 or two gtx260's. The 260's are the better solution in your range if your going for a high res otherwise you can just go for a single gtx 285 and have the option for sli gtx285 later on down the track.

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!
Newegg.com - OCZ Platinum 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3P1600LV6GK - Desktop Memory
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies
Newegg.com - XFX GX295NHHFF GeForce GTX 295 1792MB 896 (448 x 2)-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Storm Scout SGC-2000-KKN1-GP Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases
Newegg.com - LG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache IDE 22X DVD±R DVD Burner - CD / DVD Burners

Thats 43 over but is an awesome build, just managed a gtx 295 in there which is a bit better than gtx 260 SLI, but if you want it under your budget because you want to fit Hom Pre. in there get 260's and combo the Os with the HDD. Otherwise get windows 7 for free.

You seem to have two power supplies in there, baron. Also, a 750TX should be fine for 2x260s/2x285s in future.

Number One: You should build a computer instead of buying. You will easily save $1000 dollars or more. It is is much much much easier then you think. The people here will tell you how to do it but here is a good link.

The animated guide to Building a PC. Learn to build a PC from scratch with PCitYourself!

Number Two: Baron's build is great. I have'nt heard much about this but you might be better of with 2 GTX 280s. hope the other guys will answer that.

Number One: You should build a computer instead of buying. You will easily save $1000 dollars or more. It is is much much much easier then you think. The people here will tell you how to do it but here is a good link.

The animated guide to Building a PC. Learn to build a PC from scratch with PCitYourself!

Number Two: Baron's build is great. I have'nt heard much about this but you might be better of with 2 GTX 280s. hope the other guys will answer that.

GTX260s cost almost as much as 4890s right now and they are slower. 4890s are a great value for high end cards.

Thanks for all of the really good and quick feedback. I think I'll go with one very good graphics card and add another later. Or will that change something that will need to be upgraded like power supply?

Anyway thanks for the advice.

i use a gtx285ssc and would recommend the card. it creates an unbelievebley smooth gameplay experience. I will be adding another in the future which you may opt to do the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom