FSB:RAM Ratio question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to bump old thread but i figure it'd be better than starting new one and ppl telling me to search.

My question, If i had the new intel 45nm q9450 with a 1333mhz FSB, would the speed of my system overall be any different if i had DDR2-800, or DDR2-667.
My thinking is that these two communicate with each other and can only run as fast as the slowest of the two. So DDR2-667 matches the 1333mhz FSB 1:1 all stock. While DDR2-800 will be running faster than the 1333mhz FSB stock but effectively wont be running at ddr2-800 speed because its faster than the 1333mhz FSB and the FSB cant keep up. Am i wrong?

veedub said earlier, that if you get RAM that runs faster than whatever makes it 1:1, that is better. You will still go faster will that ddr2800 than with 667. the 1:1 does not make that much of diff. Are you really gonna get that q9450?

and like B1 said, just OC to make it 1:1 (the processor)

Sorry to bump old thread but i figure it'd be better than starting new one and ppl telling me to search.

My question, If i had the new intel 45nm q9450 with a 1333mhz FSB, would the speed of my system overall be any different if i had DDR2-800, or DDR2-667.
My thinking is that these two communicate with each other and can only run as fast as the slowest of the two. So DDR2-667 matches the 1333mhz FSB 1:1 all stock. While DDR2-800 will be running faster than the 1333mhz FSB stock but effectively wont be running at ddr2-800 speed because its faster than the 1333mhz FSB and the FSB cant keep up. Am i wrong?

It sometimes depends on what ratio you have the FSB:RAM set on, in the BIOS. If you have it set on 1:1, the DDR2-800 will run at 667, to match the 1333 FSB. If not, and the 800 is running at a faster speed, you can just overclock the FSB, to meet the 800's speed.

but even if the ratio is not 1:1, how can the memory be effectively running faster than the FSB. Don't these two talk to each other directly?
And im talking everything stock, so not changing anything in the bios ratios. (Though i dont have this setup and dont know what the stock ratio would be)

Noclue98: I plan on getting the Q9450 sometime this summer.

but even if the ratio is not 1:1, how can the memory be effectively running faster than the FSB. Don't these two talk to each other directly?
And im talking everything stock, so not changing anything in the bios ratios. (Though i dont have this setup and dont know what the stock ratio would be)
The RAM is effectively running at it's stock speed faster than the FSB, because it's told to do so. It's like it's hard wired, into it's head, that 400MHz is the speed they're suppose to run at. Unless it is told to run at another speed, by you changing the divider.

On stock, everything will run at their stock speed. And so the 1333FSB will run at 333MHz, and the RAM will run at 400MHz. They don't necessarily have to walk beside each other, hand in hand, all the time.

For example. When my motherboard is set to default, the FSB is running at 266MHz, while the RAM is running at 400MHz. 12:8 ratio. But you can set them to run 1:1, by changing the FSB:RAM or divider.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom