Friends new computer! Budget Enclosed :p - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-25-2012, 08:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 11
Default Friends new computer! Budget Enclosed :p

Hello Everyone!
My friend is going to be purchasing a new computer and he didn't give me a solid price range yet, just told me from 400-600. Though he is getting paid and might increase that to about 800, not too sure yet. He's going to want to game on it, mainly. Games like Total war:Shogun 2. Skyrim, Battlefield 3, maybe an MMO or two. So i was enlisted in helping to find some parts for him since he has no clue. This is what i came up with.

I went AMD because for under 1000, personally, i think it's more cost effective and you won't really have to skimp on other parts, please, correct me if i am wrong.


MOBO:
Newegg.com - ASRock 970 EXTREME3 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

GPU:
Newegg.com - ASRock 970 EXTREME3 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
(It's the GTX 480, a lot of people forget it's still around =) )

Power Supply:
Newegg.com - Rosewill RP600V2-S-SL 600W ATX12V v2.01 SLI Ready Power Supply

CPU:
Newegg.com - AMD FX-4170 Zambezi 4.2GHz (4.3GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W Quad-Core Desktop Processor FD4170FRGUBOX

RAM:
Newegg.com - G.SKILL Value Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Desktop Memory Model F3-10600CL9D-8GBNT

HARD DRIVE:
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD5002AALX 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

DISK DRIVE:
Newegg.com - ASUS 24X DVD Burner - Bulk 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS - CD / DVD Burners

So i just wanted to check in, if you can think of a better Intel build please share.(Maybe the I5-3550?) I know the FX series isn't all too good in comparison to Intel but those would be a little too costly unfortunately. If i made a mistake anywhere please let me know!

Thanks everyone !
~Zarth
__________________

Zarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Build Guru
 
PP Mguire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 28,283
Default Re: Friends new computer! Budget Enclosed :p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarth View Post
Hello Everyone!
My friend is going to be purchasing a new computer and he didn't give me a solid price range yet, just told me from 400-600. Though he is getting paid and might increase that to about 800, not too sure yet. He's going to want to game on it, mainly. Games like Total war:Shogun 2. Skyrim, Battlefield 3, maybe an MMO or two. So i was enlisted in helping to find some parts for him since he has no clue. This is what i came up with.

I went AMD because for under 1000, personally, i think it's more cost effective and you won't really have to skimp on other parts, please, correct me if i am wrong.


MOBO:
Newegg.com - ASRock 970 EXTREME3 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

GPU:
Newegg.com - ASRock 970 EXTREME3 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
(It's the GTX 480, a lot of people forget it's still around =) )

Power Supply:
Newegg.com - Rosewill RP600V2-S-SL 600W ATX12V v2.01 SLI Ready Power Supply

CPU:
Newegg.com - AMD FX-4170 Zambezi 4.2GHz (4.3GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W Quad-Core Desktop Processor FD4170FRGUBOX

RAM:
Newegg.com - G.SKILL Value Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Desktop Memory Model F3-10600CL9D-8GBNT

HARD DRIVE:
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD5002AALX 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

DISK DRIVE:
Newegg.com - ASUS 24X DVD Burner - Bulk 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS - CD / DVD Burners

So i just wanted to check in, if you can think of a better Intel build please share.(Maybe the I5-3550?) I know the FX series isn't all too good in comparison to Intel but those would be a little too costly unfortunately. If i made a mistake anywhere please let me know!

Thanks everyone !
~Zarth
I'm not trying to mock you or anything, but I think it's kind of funny how you say you don't want to skimp on other parts but throw a Rosewill PSU in there
And that ASRock 970 is a mighty funny looking 480 0_0

Anywho, looks good for the money I suppose. Not sure I would go 480 due to heat.
__________________

__________________
"Resolution is just a number." #Ubisoft
Origin/Steam = PP_Mguire Twitch = pp_mguire Instagram = ppmguire PSN = PP_Mguire

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 3,077
Default Re: Friends new computer! Budget Enclosed :p

yup...an 80+ silver or bronze power supply would be much better
Joe C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 02:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 11
Default Re: Friends new computer! Budget Enclosed :p

Okay so Power supply issues. (Yeah i quickly threw this together he was getting impatient). Any recommendations for it? If you have other suggestions for the Video card please let me know, I know know the 480 Benchmarks are amazing for what it's worth atm.
See anywhere i can cut down on anything else? or fix it? I think he's looking to go around 650~ for the price. Ignoring the case.
Zarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 04:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Techie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 63
Default Re: Friends new computer! Budget Enclosed :p

You should grab a corsair modular PSU, not too expensive and very reliable.
mac_attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:38 AM   #6 (permalink)
Build Guru
 
PP Mguire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 28,283
Default Re: Friends new computer! Budget Enclosed :p

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_attack View Post
You should grab a corsair modular PSU, not too expensive and very reliable.
The cheapest Corsair HX PSU is almost double of what the price of that Rosewill is going for (129), so way out of budget there.

Last time I checked the power draw and heat produced by the 480 was just ridiculous. I can tell you my 465 is a heat monster after having a 580 previously. I would recommend at the minimum a 650w if you go for the 480. The performance for price is actually pretty good as it is around the 570 territory. Thing is, you need a well ventilated case to keep it from overheating.

Newegg.com - CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply
__________________
"Resolution is just a number." #Ubisoft
Origin/Steam = PP_Mguire Twitch = pp_mguire Instagram = ppmguire PSN = PP_Mguire

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 04:23 AM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 11
Default Re: Friends new computer! Budget Enclosed :p

Awesome. Was looking at that exact psu after y'all made fun of me for skimping
If the 480 has heat issues, what would be the next closest thing? A 570? I don't know if i can incorporate a 570 into this build for just $650.. Any ideas?
And otherwise-- it looks fine, right?
Like. If you had to find an ideal setup for ~650$ this would be it/ close?
=) Thanks a lot for the replies, guys.

--Also, for the Hard drive is there a better way to go? I can't imagine he'll need more than 500 GB so is there a better/cheaper option?
Zarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 03:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
Build Guru
 
PP Mguire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 28,283
Default Re: Friends new computer! Budget Enclosed :p

480 is around the performance of a 570 but for the price you really can't beat it. The next best option would be a 560ti but it performance less than a 480.

Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda ST500DM002 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Only thing really in the HDD area besides going SSD. For the price though, the SSD would be tiny.
__________________
"Resolution is just a number." #Ubisoft
Origin/Steam = PP_Mguire Twitch = pp_mguire Instagram = ppmguire PSN = PP_Mguire

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
Junior Techie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 63
Default Re: Friends new computer! Budget Enclosed :p

Even if he gets a small SSD he can boot off it and put his highest priority programs on it.
mac_attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 04:19 AM   #10 (permalink)
Build Guru
 
PP Mguire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 28,283
Default Re: Friends new computer! Budget Enclosed :p

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_attack View Post
Even if he gets a small SSD he can boot off it and put his highest priority programs on it.
Indeed, but can't really put anything else on the drive.
__________________

__________________
"Resolution is just a number." #Ubisoft
Origin/Steam = PP_Mguire Twitch = pp_mguire Instagram = ppmguire PSN = PP_Mguire

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My friends low end budget... look good? Drizzt New Systems | Building and Buying 7 12-11-2007 07:30 AM
friends BUDGET comp baron5 New Systems | Building and Buying 8 05-28-2007 09:47 AM
[SPAM enclosed] walexelect Monitors, Printers and Peripherals 1 08-23-2006 07:30 PM
friends computer Norcent New Systems | Building and Buying 5 04-03-2006 08:48 PM
malfunctioning computer - hijackthis enclosed zhecody HijackThis Logs (finished) 1 05-18-2005 08:33 PM



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.