Friendly Guide to Building Your Own PC - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Closed Thread
Old 07-10-2006, 09:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie
Default Friendly Guide to Building Your Own PC

I am extremely bored, so I'm dedicating my time to help out ppl who are looking to build their first computers or some beginners looking to touch up their skills . So, I'm going to be covering various budget types ranging from 500-1500 (as I believe spending more than 1500 means you know what your doing). Also I'll include non-biased builds. I do not include any peripherals such as mice, keyboards, and monitors due to personal preference. However I include cases only because they are a necessary part when building. (I didn't include an operating system, assuming you or a friend has one, if not then:
Windows XP pro w/ sp2 )

For those non-gamers who just want a computer for everyday use such as word processing and loads of "other fun". But also have the intention to upgrade in the future. ($500 budget)

AMD build:
Processor (AMD Semperon 3000+)

Motherboard (Biostar TFORCE4)

RAM (G-Skill 1x1GB) (I put 1 stick instead of 2x512 because in the future if 2 gigs is needed, you only have to purchase another stick, and the average user will barely notice a difference from single to dual channel.)

Harddrive (Western Digital 80 gig)

Video Card (evga 7300gt)

DVD burner (Samsung Lightscribe Drive)

Case and power supply (antec sonata 2)

Intel Build:
Processor (Intel 805 D) Intel folks will get dual core for just a little bit more, I did not include a celeron or a single core p4 because i feel they are outdated)

Motherboard (ASRock 775XFire)

*for the other parts use the same parts as the AMD build excluding the processor and mobo*

Now for you budget gamers who want to play the latest games but do not necessarily have a high budget. Don't fear as good parts are always near. ($700 budget)

AMD build:
Processor (AMD 64 3500+)

Motherboard (Asus m2n-e)

RAM (G-skill 2x1GB)

Video card (evga 7600gt)

Case and power supply (antec sonata 2)

Intel Build:
Processor (Intel 805 D)

Motherboard (Asus P5LD2)

*for the other parts use the same parts as the AMD build excluding the processor and mobo*

If you have a bit of change to spare, then you might consider a moderate gamer's budget. ($1100)

AMD Build:
Processor (AMD 3800+ X2) *Wait until the 23rd-24th for price drops, saving $100+*

Motherboard (Asus M2N-SLI)

Video Card (evga 7900gt)

RAM (G-skill 2x1GB)

Power Supply (Enermax 500W Modular PSU)

Case (Thermaltake Armor Jr.)

Intel Build: * I choose the overclocker's way because the 805 is famous for its unusually high overclocking potential, but it can be replaced if you do not feel comfortable with the art *

Processor (Intel 805 D)

Motherboard (Asus P5WD2 Premium)

The last builds leave about $400 dollars to spare from a $1500 budget, this can get you a nice monitor plus keyboard and mouse if needed. Also, if in need of more harddrive space you can pick (but not limited to) the following suggestions/replacements:

WD 160 GB

WD 250 GB

WD 400 GB

WD 74 GB Raptor 10K

WD 150 GB Raptor 10k

Some ad-ons to think about are sound cards, 3rd party cooling, and cosmetic details that will get your computer noticed.

3rd Party Cooling (Zalman 9500 AM2 Edition)

Sound Card (Creative Labs X-Fi)

for cosmetic appeal check out some of these sites :

Thanks for reading my little guide and feel free to leave any suggestions and/or comments =D.

Old 07-10-2006, 10:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

This has been done before.

Originally Posted by Sylus View Post
Could have been worse, you could have been raped by a clown.
Old 07-11-2006, 02:24 AM   #3 (permalink)
Future ex-member
Send a message via MSN to lancec2c30

but you know with so many new threads coming out they will fade to the back after time. always could use a freshen up, I think it could be helpful for newbs

XP Pro | Vista Home Premium | Linux Ubuntu 7.10
s939 X2 3800 Toledo @ 2.6ghz | evga 7900gs | 320gig + 80gig wd | 1gb Ram | Abit KN8 SLI
3.1ghz achieved. :cool:
70K F@H member..............still waiting for the "iRACK"

Norcent will not be forgotten.

Old 07-11-2006, 02:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
<br><br><font color=\"black\"><b>There's No Place Like </b></font><font color=\"red\"><b></b></font><br>
Closed Thread