Friend wanting Gaming PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just going to throw this out there:
AMD Gaming Build I put in the General Hardware thread ($862-$915).
Granted an i5 2500 blows any AMD out of the water, but on a budget you can't beat them.

With the saved $ I switched in 1600MHz CAS8 ram, GTX 560Ti, 650W PSU, and a 750GB Caviar Black.

The build does have Win7 64-Bit OEM, but I'd ask the IT dept about discounts for students before buying it, almost every college has some deal.

*Edit - The build does not have keyboard/mouse.

Just going to throw this out there:
AMD Gaming Build I put in the General Hardware thread ($862-$915).
Granted an i5 2500 blows any AMD out of the water, but on a budget you can't beat them.
He wants an Intel build, so I'm going to stick with that for him.

The build does have Win7 64-Bit OEM, but I'd ask the IT dept about discounts for students before buying it, almost every college has some deal.
Already mentioned that; can only get it free from the school if you're in an engineering major. And MS's Ultimate Steal is only for Office now Windows now. I can see about getting it through somewhere else on campus, but I'm going to be they're not going to be very cheap.
*Edit - The build does not have keyboard/mouse.
The last link on my first post is a mouse/keyboard combo.

Edit: Revised first post to reflect changes. Thanks for the suggestions so far.

This link is for windows 7 for students from Microsoft. Microsoft Store Online - Windows 7 Professional Upgrade

Even though it says upgrade you can do a clean install with it. I had a friend ask me to do the same thing recently and I pointed him to this site for the OS. You can use a flash drive to install.

Ah, forgot about that. I was thinking there was a way to get Win7 for like $30, but I couldn't remember for sure.

At my friends college the IT department on campus also sold copies for $30. With multiple other programs even cheaper. My school does not have the same deal, but luckily I am in engineering.

At my friends college the IT department on campus also sold copies for $30. With multiple other programs even cheaper. My school does not have the same deal, but luckily I am in engineering.

Not sure if my school does the same or not, since I'm in the college of engineering at my school too lol, so it doesn't matter as I get it all free.

Well for me an $100 dollar case is a budget case. My personaly favorite(one I am setting up a build in) is the Silverstone raven 1

sorry wrong thread ^^^^^^

I would realy appreciated if we stated facts.
External Drive bays = same both have 4
Internal Drive bays = NZXT has 7 CM has 6
Fans = NZXT has more expantion than CM
Dimensions = NZXT 20 x 7.48 x 17.68
= CM 20.6 x 9 x 19
Painted Black Interior = Both are painted
Cable Management = Both have cable management
USB 3.0 Front IO = NZXT no CM yes
Expantion slots = Same
CPU cutout = Same both have it
Yes the NZXT has one more drive bay and has more fan expantion.
The NZXT is a rather bare case not very appealing to the eye(looks kinda cheap) and has way to much mesh.
The CM on the other hand is strait up bigger,that can be undesirable in some cases, but if you are installing a larger CPU cooler you need that extra 1.52 inches. Also, there are some nice touchs on it like USB 3.0(convinet to have on the front), more included fans one 120 and one 200 which lights up, a door on the front masking your unmatched disk drive and expantion slots, and it has added cable security on the back which is a nice touch.

So in summary if you want an slick looking case, with quality touchs and convinices, and can support your larger air coolers I would pick up the CM over the NZXT. But if you truly dont have the money the NZXT is a fine option too.

Fact: Cases are personal preference.
Yes price/expansion bays/dimensions/etc.. play a part, but at the end of the day its all about what the person who is going to be buying it, and staring at it, wants.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom