Friend just built, not powering on, help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spit-wad

Bake a Pretty Cake!
Asus p6t
i7 920
3x2 ocz ddr3
corsair 650tx
gtx275

I'm trying to help him through instant messaging, but I don't know what exactly to ask him to do... it's his first build

he says he has everything plugged in (except the mobo has 2 eatx12v plugins, and he said he could only plug into half of them (4 pin or w/e))

tried powering on w/ only one stick of ram
has tried powering using the mobo power button, and with it connected to the case

right now he thinks he put too much thermal paste on, so he's wiping that off and is gonna re-do it, but idk what to say after that

he says the mobo lights go on when he plugs it in, but nothing happens when he tries to power it on

next step?

well, first off i think that you need to plug in all 8-pin power for the CPU, going with 4 pins most likely wont work. ask him to try a diff PSU and reseat every thing. check all power connectons to the board. make sure there is not a short somewhere.

he said he can plug in all, but this is how its configured. x = square input, y = that other shape... square+circle kinda

xy
yx

yx
xy

one of his plugs works, but the other one is
yy
yy

so since those are smaller, they can fit in w/out forcing them... he did that, but it still didnt power on

should that work or does he need to try a diff psu? if so, why wouldnt that psu work with that mobo?
seems like very commonly recommended mobo and psu

how do u make sure there is not a short somewhere?

is he sure he is using the correct 12v plug for the CPU. sounds like he is trying to plug in the wrong cable in. can we have a pic?

"i think i should have an actual 8 pin power thing
but i can't find it
according to the manual anyway
actually the wording is weird
it says it's a 8 pin with a 4-pin detachable
but i never detached anything"

thats what he said

seeing if he can get pics now

you tell me: Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies

post-62271-1215432135_thumb.jpg

"that's what my 2 4's look like
but mine doesn't have the little detachable thing"

edit: this one is closer to his:
mxs7808.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom