Fresh install of Windows 7 on a X-25m Gen 2 80g SSD questions... - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 09:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Fresh install of Windows 7 on a X-25m Gen 2 80g SSD questions...

Hey guys, been a little bit since I was here. Last time I was getting advise on the parts of my build and I'm now buying the last few pieces. Two of them being SSD's both x25's. One 80g as an OS drive and a 160g for work related programs.

More to the point though... My question is; Are there any special things I should take notice of in a fresh windows 7 install on a new SSD in a new rig etc etc...? I hear from other forums that Win7 sometimes will not install and just some random hiccups that seem to be caused more by lack of SSD knowledge as opposed to hardware / software issues.

Thanks a ton,

Donnie

Old 01-22-2010, 12:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Default Re: Fresh install of Windows 7 on a X-25m Gen 2 80g SSD questions...

You might want to make sure TRIM is enabled. Though Windows 7 should do that automatically.

Old 01-24-2010, 06:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apokalipse View Post
You might want to make sure TRIM is enabled. Though Windows 7 should do that automatically.
Yeah. I've memoized that type of info such as disable Defrag and what not as it will damage the drive. My question is more aimed the process of installing on a SSD. I keep seeing all these weird post with odd advice and boggling problems that no one seems to have a solid answer for on the other forums. I always get an answer like, "First you need to setup a RAID array with the single drive and put some hot dogs in the microwave. Make sure you set the nuke time to exactly 7 minutes and 91 seconds, don't confuse 91 seconds with an addition 1 minute and 31 seconds. You'll need to invest in a time machine obviously".

Yeah that was rediculous and way blown out but the info I get is about as useful, haha.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:42 AM   #4 (permalink)
Papa Chester

Send a message via MSN to Antec-User

^ The set up is business as usual on a FRESH install, but be sure the drive has the correct firmware on it before you install windows. I just got done sorting thru that hassle with my Vertex SSD. Should be 1.4 for Win7, 1.41 for Vista.. I haven't heard about defrag damaging an SSD, but it just doesn't need it, from what I've heard.

Here are some settings to tweak.. This is for an OCZ SSD, but it SHOULD be the same..
http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/fo...ies-*&p=442158
http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/fo...-Tweak-Utility

<---- If You enjoyed my ramblings, or if I've helped you, Check me... :D
Closed Thread