Forseeable price drops? My possible upgrade plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trepkos

Baseband Member
Current Computer Specs

Mobo:ASUS M2N Deluxe SLI Motherboard
CPU: AMD X2 6000+(3.0ghz)
Optical Drives: 2x 20x DVD-RW Lightscribe
RAM: 2 Gigs DDR2 Kingston Hyper-X 800mhz
GPU: 768mb eVGA 8800gtx PCI-E
Sound Card: Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer
PSU: Thermaltake 750watt SLI PSU
HDD: 500 GiG Seagate HDD 7200 RPM

Basically it seems that nVidia will be releasing their new Geforce 9 Series Directx10.1 card this coming February. I was wondering if a nice little price drop in the 8 series card may be coming around that time as well.

I've been brainstorming ways to upgrade my computer, and my operating system is a Windows XP Media Center 2002. Now my PC is for gaming/video/photo editting mainly. Some of the possible upgrades that have came to mind is the case of a new processor.

Now the AMD X2 processors may not be everyone's favorite such as the C2D's but the 6000+ has served me well, a possible upgrade in this area would be the 6400+ with the only real improvement being a .2ghz rise in frequency.

Another but overall pointless upgrade would be to possibly upgrade the memory to four gigs but the 32-bit OS would only truly support 3 gigs at most.

Now the big upgrade would be either adding an additional eVGA 8800gtx graphics card. For a good amount of cash I would be improving my computer's graphical power by 40-60%. And most people generally say that SLI is at its most use in higher resolutions, which I use to operate at a nice small 1024x768 but with the purchase of a new monitor, now at 1600x1050.

This would be my most likely option, but for about the same price(judging by current prices), I could probably get two 8800GT's, but of course if I have enough money to buy two 8800gt's....I would probably just get another 8800gtx, instead of wasting a nice 500+ usd card.

Bleh, anyways...that was stupid...but this brings me to my next question.

PCI Express 2.0, PCI Express 16x.
Whats the deal, my motherboard only has 16x, does this mean that I'll probably have to upgrade my motherboard soon? :(

I don't think in the next year 2.0 will be required... x16 is still the mainstream.

If I were in your shoes I would just get another GTX or sit on the system for a while longer, it is definitely not lacking in any areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom