which form factor for media server?

A Raspberry Pi is the smallest that I know of, but it is somewhat limited. I've heard that you can use a Raspberry Pi for a Media Center but I have never attempted it myself
https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/kodi-raspberry-pi-media-center/
I honestly do not know of any other form factor that is any smaller
Not sure what you want in the way of upgrading, This link for using a Pi does not run on Windows

Last edited:
digital amp acts as a DAC direct from pc
im after sound quality also not just basic

I have it set up already for my desktop but the hp 8300 box is still somewhat too big for what I want for my living room I was thinking smaller more like USFF.

is that one only used by dell/hp? or is USFF actually a universal standard where I will be able to buy parts for it in the future without issues?

I already tried one of those tiny boxes a while ago and it got obsolete within 2 years and I couldn't upgrade anything. which makes it useless for my purpose.
If you're looking for quality then you don't want to use USB or optical. You want to run HDMI direct or analog from a high end sound card (although analog input receivers are getting rare).

integrated amps are the sound card through usb…
look up teac ai-301da as one of the examples. that's what im using at the moment

it has its own player for hi-rez and dsd files. I trust teac when they say its good lol. they been around for years and have great reputation.
it does sound very good out of the box. theres no eq or any adjustments and I don't feel like I need to adjust anything also. unlike some other ones I have
im planning to buy the 501 model for living room. same sound but more powerful amp.
was trying to see if theres a form factor that is similar in size that is still somewhat upgradeable.

Back
Top Bottom