which form factor for media server?

raverx3m

Daemon Poster
im thinking about building a media serverfor my music and movies that has also a bluray player

which form factor would be the best as far as upgradeability and size compromise?
I don't want it to be too big but not the mino pc size where I cant upgrade anything
it will be used for a digital output (usb or optical to the amp)

and hdmi to TV for movies

essentially I want to replace multiple boxes that have to be upgraded every time new format comes out
Im simplifying my stereo system from full surround with bunch of sht around my tv to 2 boxes and stereo speakers

I will have a tv, digital 2 channel amp and HTPC

it will be external HDDs mostly because I already have them
problem is the TV doesn't play all formats
some of my albums are in dsd and amps play dsd but don't play video

You could simplify it further by cross checking formats and getting something like a Roku Ultra or Shield that can have the externals plugged into. Then get a receiver that has HDMI ARC so you only have one set of cables instead of multiple.

any of those boxes depend on manufacturer "updates" usually don't get updated and become obsolete anyway.
I already had plenty of those throughout the years that were supposedly updateable.

I need to be able to update the hardware as well.
I also want to use it as a PC to browse interwebs
the amp will be connected through USB as a sound out device. so it has to be a pc

Being a PC doing USB doesn't make much sense when it can still all do HDMI. You can do just a basic mATX setup since you don't want tiny. Doesn't have to be complicated.

Are you looking for something like a receiver?
https://www.newegg.com/p/0MJ-000T-00077
I use a Hauppauge Colossus tv tuner on my current pc, so I can watch tv while I am on the internet and record a cable channel if I want to.
I have to use a "hdmi splitter" in order to get hdmi, because it strips out the HDCP protection from my Xfinity cable box. I can record in HD and save those recordings onto another hard drive to view at a later time

Last edited:
digital amp acts as a DAC direct from pc
im after sound quality also not just basic

I have it set up already for my desktop but the hp 8300 box is still somewhat too big for what I want for my living room I was thinking smaller more like USFF.

is that one only used by dell/hp? or is USFF actually a universal standard where I will be able to buy parts for it in the future without issues?

I already tried one of those tiny boxes a while ago and it got obsolete within 2 years and I couldn't upgrade anything. which makes it useless for my purpose.

what is the smallest form factor I can get where I can still easily upgrade and buy parts for ?

Back
Top Bottom