First time LCD buyer could use some advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saint71

In Runtime
Its time for a monitor upgrade for me. I want to get a good LCD mabye a 20 inch . I see that most people seem to have Dells. Im guessing there the best because everyone has them. And what about these widscreen ones. What are the benefits of having a widescreen monitor? Other than wathing widscreen movies without the black bars. Im looking to stay under 600$ for whatever I decide to get. And Im a hardcore gamer so response time is important to me. The dells seem to all have a 12ms response time. Isnt that too slow? If anyone could help me out that would be great. Thanks in advance.

Look for low response time, high contrast ratio, and good reviews. 17 Inch ones have a better pixel pitch so they scale to non native resolutions better then 19 inchers. I personally hate widescreen but that's just personal preference.

Don't be fooled into thinking dell is the best for monitors, there are other companies out there that I would much rather buy a monitor from. Samsung, viewsonic, hyundai and more. Personally I have a Hyundai L72s monitor, it's great for games.

look for a response time of 8 ms or less.

I'm in a similar position and the viewsonic VP930b is whats tempting me, its probablt the best 19" out there but its not the cheapest.
Something to concider is HDCP with Vista and all that, you dont want to splash out on a new monitor then find you cant play dvds when you upgrade to vista.

17 inchers are really the standard of today, and hold the sweetspot for price : performance.

It's very hard to find a 12ms or faster LCD of 20 inches cheaper than $400 ... then you have to take contrast ratio and pixel pitch into consideration.

Best bet, stick with a solid viewsonic or LG 17" 12ms LCD, 17" is bigger than you think.

the trouble with the 17" panels is that most of them dont come up to the performance of the 19" because of the different panel technology used.
The viewsonic 17" are much inferior to the 19".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom