First-Time Computer Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was told that the speed difference between the Caviar blue and black is negligible?

I am pretty sure now that I want to go with the i5 2500k, but I think I would also like to go with the HD 6950. I saw that there is both the 1gb 6950 and the 2gb 6950, at almost the same price. I looked at some comparisons and it seems that the 2gb only outperforms the 1gb at higher resolutions, so would I be safe to stick with the 1gb at 1920x1080?

Also, with the i5 2500k, it does seem that I would be fine with the stock fan, but do you think it would still be a good idea to switch to a $30 cooler to bring down idle temps and noise (and would it at all)?

Real world performance there isn't a huge difference between the Black and Blue.
Its also not a huge difference between 16MB and 32MB cache.
And 500GB to 750GB only matters if you'll use the space.

I suggested the black because for $5 more you were getting a couple little extras.
The blue currently has a -$5 promo code though, so for $10 difference might not be worth it.

I'm with Paton on the cooler, the stock Intel one is fine even for a minor OC (3.7-4.0GHz).

Which card were you looking at? I'd say for about the same price as the 560Ti you have posted go with:
Newegg.com - XFX HD-695X-ZNDC Radeon HD 6950 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity.
Or, if you want to spend a little more:
Newegg.com - MSI R6950 Twin Frozr III 1G/OC Radeon HD 6950 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card.
Newegg.com - XFX HD695XZDDC Radeon HD 6950 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity.

Looks good man, pretty impressed this came to <$1,100.

Should be even less after you get rebates back.

Post up some pics once you get everything installed :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom