First Time Building Rig

For 229 you can have the 3570k, and you can ditch the cooler as the stock cooler is fine without overclocking.
If you don't have an OS you will need one as well.

If you want to game with higher settings the 660ti would be a better purchase. If you need to relieve some funds then you can go with an i5 3330 and an ASRock B75 motherboard which will give you enough money to get the 660ti and maintain the same performance.

Thanks for the quick reply. So lets say I stick with the i5 2500k, and overclock it to about 4.5GHz, how much of a performance increase will I actually receive? Also, I chose the 660 SC edition because the price was a lot cheaper, but since you recommend the ti version, how much of a difference is between those two GPU's? Thanks.

In games, it isn't worth the effort to OC. Single threaded performance per core is much better on IB, plus the price difference just makes it worth going for the better chip.

About a 20% difference or so. 660 is about the speed of a 570 and the 660ti is faster than the 580. If that is any indication of performance. That's why I said, if money was an issue with getting the 660ti, then drop to the 3330/B75 combo to make up the cost. You get more FPS with a faster GPU than you do with an overclocked CPU.

Just FYI. you did see this at the bottom right?

Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard has an onboard USB 3.0 header, but the NZXT LEXA S (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case does not have front panel USB 3.0 ports.

I know cases are a personal preference, but I don't like cases with front doors on them...
and if you plan on using USB 3.0, you'll have to use a plug in the back... quite annoying if you use a portable drive.

Just FYI. you did see this at the bottom right?

Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard has an onboard USB 3.0 header, but the NZXT LEXA S (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case does not have front panel USB 3.0 ports.

I know cases are a personal preference, but I don't like cases with front doors on them...
and if you plan on using USB 3.0, you'll have to use a plug in the back... quite annoying if you use a portable drive.
All of the boards still have USB2 headers.

Yes, but that wasn't the point I was trying to make. I wanted to point out the fact to the OP in case it was missed, and data transfer speeds are an issue.

Edit: Also, just looking at the case... where are you going to keep it? On the floor or on the desk? if it's the floor, then your front USB headers are on the left side at the bottom. Making it that much more of a pain to access if your sitting in a chair, and have to bend down every time.

Last edited:
Yes, but that wasn't the point I was trying to make. I wanted to point out the fact to the OP in case it was missed, and data transfer speeds are an issue.

Edit: Also, just looking at the case... where are you going to keep it? On the floor or on the desk? if it's the floor, then your front USB headers are on the left side at the bottom. Making it that much more of a pain to access if your sitting in a chair, and have to bend down every time.
Thanks for pointing that out when I totally missed that. So I looked at my options and decided to go with the, Corsair Carbide 500R Case.

Back
Top Bottom