First time Building a PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

JWood88

Baseband Member
I've never done this before and I have a few questions. I'll give links to the parts I'm using to show you what I plan on building and with what parts.

Motherboard

Graphics card

Hard drive

Sound card

Case

Memory

Processor

The first question I have is, besides a mouse, keyboard, monitor, and speakers, is there anything else I might need as far as the actual components go?

Next, I noticed that my graphics card memory tech is DDR3, however the memory I have picked out is DDR2. Do I need DDR3 memory to use the graphics card? Or can I use the DDR2 memory I have selected already?

Edit: And I'd also like to know if the parts I have selected already are any good.

Any helpful comments would be much appreciated. Again this is my first time and I want to make sure I have all the parts I'll need before I order them.

Most case PSU stink... but this one is a TT, so you might luck out, but I would consider another PSU, maybe something in an Antec, Cooler Master, Enermax, etc... Not sure of the memory though. I've never been good with that part :eek:

Couldn't get the mobo, graphics, pages. Is this a budget machine? There are better machine setup out there than the INTEL you choose. AMD is also dropping their prices on the 254th of this month and you might be able to picl up a 3800 Dual core for 149ish. plus the core 2 duo. (for the Conroe freaks) :) is running along the cheap side... what kind of budget do you have to work with? that will help us, help you out... :D

Well, I'm looking around the $1500-$1800 range. Though, I can always save up more so price really isn't an issue. I just want a high-end computer that will run fast and smooth no matter what I'm doing. Games, music, internet, etc.... My biggest concerns were with the graphics card, the memory, and motherboard. Not too worried about the grahics card unless it's not compatible with my memory.

What is your PRIMARY want out of your system? Games? Video? (edit/watch, etc) Internet? Music? (edit, mix, etc...) and where do you live? (that will help with online stores to look at)

Well... if you want a gaming machine then I would not sugest an INTEL unless you get the latest ones. The Core 2 Duo. but I still cannot see your links... but since your using a ".com" adde I'm assuming you can look at places like Newegg, Mwave, Pricewatch. Take a look at the system parts there and see what you like. If I may... I would start with looking at something along the lines of:

possible DFI mob with some kind of AMD dual core CPU
a good 450-550W PSU from ANTEC, Enermax, etc..
2GB DDR/DDR2 RAM - Corsair, Kingston, PQI, etc...
a decent after market CPU fan - Zalman, Arctic Cooling
a 7900GT PCIE video card (good choice) :)
a decent sized SATA II hard drive (also, a good choice) :)
then all the exras - DVD burner, floppy, KB/mouse, etc...

OR the Conroe setup... with all the odds and ends... you can find those by doing a search for conroe and reading thru the forum.

Now when you say "2GB DDR/DDR2 RAM" I've read that it's better to get 2 1 gigs than a 2 gig by itself. Do you know if that's true?

http://www3.shopping.com/xPF-Ultra_X2_Titanium_PSU
this is the power supply i'm looking at now. Looks nice, not too pricey either. I heard you should not use the ones a mobo comes with because they could destroy your hardware if they fry and are quite likely to fry as well. Not sure if that's true either but I plan on buying a power supply seperate anyway. Thoughts on it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom