First time building a gaming pc

tristanjay

Solid State Member
Ths is my first time building a gaming pic.

I'm a pretty big gamer so in 2009 I bought a Dell with an Intel i7 920@2.67ghz, radeon hd 4850 and 6 gb of ram. It was like 500 dollars. It was pretty awesome back then and I could play quite a few games on high settings with it. But recently this computer, particularly the graphics card, is starting to show its age.

So I figured it was time for an upgrade. I've already purchased a 600 watt power supply and a gtx 780. I figure if I'm going to update anything else like the processor and motherboard I might as well just build a new pc.

I'm hoping you guys can offer me some help and suggestions.

I'm thinking of upgrading to an i7 4770k for around 300-400 dollars and a new motherboard for 150-200 dollars. Also I will probably buy a new computer case.

Thanks,

Grateful Newbie.

Last edited:
What PSU did you buy?

Honestly, the 920 is still exceptionally good for todays games. Any Core i5/i7 1st-4th gen are fine for gaming in a desktop.

That being said if you have the funds, might as well. I'll say right now, that if you don't do anything else that warrants the need of HT then you're wasting 100 bucks extra on an i7.

For the motherboard, easy, ASRock Z87 Extreme4. No point getting anything else.

What PSU did you buy?

Honestly, the 920 is still exceptionally good for todays games. Any Core i5/i7 1st-4th gen are fine for gaming in a desktop.

That being said if you have the funds, might as well. I'll say right now, that if you don't do anything else that warrants the need of HT then you're wasting 100 bucks extra on an i7.

For the motherboard, easy, ASRock Z87 Extreme4. No point getting anything else.

I bought:Corsair Builder Series CX 600 Watt ATX/EPS 80 PLUS (CX600) psu

Thanks for the advice. Is the gtx 780 any good? My friend recommended it.

Also, any advice on the computer case?

Last edited:
If you can return it and get yourself something better. The CX series is good for budget builds. Considering that you're putting together what is essentially a 1500+ dollar computer you don't want to put a budget PSU in there.

The GTX 780 is almost top of the line for today, so yes it's good.

For PSU I would look into the Seasonic M1211 620, Seasonic G series 650w, Corsair TX650m, or Corsair HX650.

If you can return it and get yourself something better. The CX series is good for budget builds. Considering that you're putting together what is essentially a 1500+ dollar computer you don't want to put a budget PSU in there.

The GTX 780 is almost top of the line for today, so yes it's good.

For PSU I would look into the Seasonic M1211 620, Seasonic G series 650w, Corsair TX650m, or Corsair HX650.

What do you think my most cost effective option for psu is? Will my new computer explode or something if I use this cx psu?

Last edited:
No, it would not. The 600w rating is enough to push the system at stock frequencies easy but the quality of parts in a PSU is what you're buying into. For instance, the 600w rating is the max that thing is made to handle, whereas the units I've mentioned previously can handle their rated wattage all day long. Like RMS vs Peak on a speaker (if you understand that).
The next thing to take into consideration with quality components is longevity. Something like that M1211 620w Seasonic will last you years, the CX it's a possibility. Just a few things to think about.

So yea, it'd work, but why skimp on the most important part of your rig?

how much you want to spend on the case? cuz corsair makes really nice cases. i don't think ill ever buy a non corsair case for my main rig. but in the end is all a matter of preference really.

Yea I never mentioned case stuff cause that's really personal preference. I have a taste for Corsair and Silverstone cases so naturally I recommend those.

Back
Top Bottom