First time building a computer, and would like someone to review my parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I do not plan on overclocking my processor or GPU off the bat, do I really need the CPU cooling right now?
Also, how long does it generally take newegg to restock? because the GPU just went out of stock :(

Thanks once again :p

no you don't really need the aftermarket cooler, you could use the stock one. it's nice to have though.

are you dead set on getting the sapphire branded one? you could get this gigabyte for $5 less, which also has a bit longer warranty (3yr)
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GV-R687D5-1GD-B Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity
just so you know, all these cards right now are basically the same cards, just with different stickers on the shroud from different brands. they'll each probably start selling cards with their own custom coolers later on, but these initial cards are all essentially the same.

Gigabyte is still a good brand correct? I didn't know which 6870 to get so I just chose the one most suggested on this board.
Also, is the 6870 better than the GeForce 460?

Turns out I also need a new monitor because my current one is VGA, and my friend says my monitor won't utilize the full potential of the GFX.
So how is this monitor:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824254049

I didn't want to create a new thread for these questions.. so:
I found an I7 for 200:
Micro Center - Intel Core i7-950 3.06GHz Boxed Processor 865204
and I plan on getting this motherboard:
Newegg.com - ASUS Sabertooth X58 LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Is this a good idea? or should I stick with my i5

Thanks

That processor deal was exactly what I was going to do before I was blinded by AMD ;) That motherboard is very nice.

My personal opinion because I have 2 in crossfire ....... get the 6850 you can reach the speeds of the 6870 easily for less $$. I have the 6870's and they hit a ceiling which I do not feel warranted the extra cash I dropped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom