First Time building for 3D Applications and Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

casper87

Beta member
Hey there guys, Ive been reading a bunch of threads on this forum and still find myself lost. I recently graduated from college and Im looking to build my own rig and play some games. Application wise I am looking to run Softimage/ After Effects / Zbrush as well as games like Starcraft 2 (in the beta!) Now while at school the tech for our department told us that running 2 quad cores beats out an i7 for what Im looking to do.
I havent found a dual quadcore vs i7 thread, but from what I have read i7 920/930 seems to be the best out there atm. I was hoping you guys could help me build a rig with my current budget being around 1500-1700.

so... you want two dual core processors?

running 2 quad cores beats out an i7 for what Im looking to do

i think i miss read that but this is the part that im confused on

sorry, I am probably phrasing it wrong, the tech at my school told us that a computer with 2 processors instead of one, even if its 2 quad cores at 2.0ghz is superior to one i7. I wanted to know if this is still the way to go or should I go with an i7.

He's wanting something like the Skulltrail motherboard, as far as I can tell. With a $1,500 budget, I'd definitely recommend the i7 over the dual quad cores, as those start at around $1,000 per processor, from what I can recall.

... an i7 is a quad core, so of course 2 quad core processors would out perform a single quad core processor...

Can't forget that it's got hyperthreading ;) It's not true octa-core, but it's faster than a single quad core.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom