First Time Builder, need help! - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-07-2014, 04:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: US
Posts: 5
Default First Time Builder, need help!

This will be my first time building my own PC. I game a lot so it will be used primarily for gaming and everyday use. I know next to nothing about building PC's so in your replies, assume I know nothing. I need anyone's advice on if I should make any changes, whether everything is compatible or not, etc.. Any advice is appreciated.

Budget is up to $3000, but obviously I'd prefer to save as much money as possible.

Here's what I'm looking at:

Case: Cooler Master HAF X - High Air Flow Full Tower Computer Case with Windowed Side Panel and USB 3.0 Ports
COOLER MASTER HAF X RC-942-KKN1 Black Steel/ Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Newegg.com

CPU: Intel Core i7-4930K Ivy Bridge-E 6-Core 3.4GHz LGA 2011 130W Desktop Processor BX80633i74930K
Intel Core i7-4930K Ivy Bridge-E 6-Core 3.4GHz LGA 2011 130W Desktop Processor BX80633i74930K - Newegg.com

Motherboard: ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Extended ATX Intel Motherboard
ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Extended ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com

GPU: ASUS GTX780-DC2OC-3GD5 GeForce GTX 780 3GB 384-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
ASUS GTX780-DC2OC-3GD5 GeForce GTX 780 3GB 384-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card - Newegg.com

Heatsink: Prolimatech PRO-MGH-BK CPU Cooler
Prolimatech PRO-MGH-BK CPU Cooler - Newegg.com

RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 Desktop Memory Model CMY16GX3M2A1866C9R (Red)
CORSAIR Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 Desktop Memory Model CMY16GX3M2A1866C9R (Red) - Newegg.com

Power Supply: EVGA 220-P2-1200-X1 1200W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready 80 PLUS PLATINUM Certified SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Full Modular Power Supply 10yr Warranty New 4th Gen Intel CPU Certified
EVGA 220-P2-1200-X1 1200W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready 80 PLUS PLATINUM Certified SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Full Modular Power Supply 10yr Warranty New 4th Gen Intel CPU Certified - Newegg.com

Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive
Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive - Newegg.com

Optical Drive: ASUS 24X DVD Burner - Bulk 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS - OEM
ASUS Model DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS 24X DVD Burner - Bulk Black - Newegg.com

Monitor: Gateway KX2703bd Black 27" 6ms Widescreen LED Backlight LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 100,000,000:1
Gateway KX2703bd Black 27" 6ms Widescreen LED Backlight LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 100,000,000:1 - Newegg.com

Keyboard: Logitech G510s 920-004967 Black USB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Logitech G510s 920-004967 Black USB Wired Gaming Keyboard - Newegg.com


All of these are copied and pasted from Newegg. Should I make any changes? Remember I know very little. Thanks.
__________________

jaidenknoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 07:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Build Guru
 
PP Mguire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 28,281
Default Re: First Time Builder, need help!

Well first thing's first, you're paying too much for an old platform when you can get better.
Secondly, you don't need an i7 for a gaming build.
Third, don't go for overpriced boards when you won't use 60% of the features on it.
Fourth, always, ALWAYS put the most money into your GPU.
Fith, that PSU is way OP for the rig, or any rig you would build.
Sixth, you want an SSD or two with that type of budget.
Seventh, You don't need RAM over 1600MHz speed.

Since you chose that case, we'll leave it. My opinion, don't get a full tower. There's no point in it. If you want advice on another case ask, otherwise we'll stick with it.

CPU:
Intel Core i5-4670K Haswell Quad-Core 3.4GHz LGA 1150 84W Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics BX80646I54670K - Newegg.com

Motherboard:
ASRock Z97 Extreme6 LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com

RAM:
Patriot Viper 3 Low Profile Blue 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model PVL316G160C0KB - Newegg.com

GPU:
EVGA 03G-P4-2884-KR GeForce GTX 780 Ti Superclocked 3GB 384-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support w/EVGA ACX Cooler Video Card - Newegg.com

With your budget and PSU selection you can add a second one.

PSU:
SeaSonic SS-750KM3 750W ATX12V V2.3/EPS 12V V2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Newegg.com

SSD:
Plextor M6e PX-G256M6e M.2 2280 256GB PCI-Express 2.0 x2 Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - Newegg.com

HDD + Optical:
Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive - Newegg.com
ASUS Model DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS 24X DVD Burner - Bulk Black - Newegg.com

I went with your 2TB. Honestly, you shouldn't need more than 1TB but since you selected it I went with your choice.

Cooling:
CORSAIR Hydro Series H60 (CW-9060007-WW) Water Cooler - Newegg.com

Cooling is NOT necessary, but with the budget the added cooling benefit is nice.

That monitor is not the best and I would not recommend it. Are you partial to 27"?

The machine listed will do maximum performance with any game. If you want to go 1440p 27" screen instead I suggest 2 780ti cards. If you want to stick with 1080p then I suggest a 24" monitor instead.

And if you don't have the cash to purchase this build now, then scratch this and come back later.
__________________

__________________
"Resolution is just a number." #Ubisoft
Origin/Steam = PP_Mguire Twitch = pp_mguire Instagram = ppmguire PSN = PP_Mguire

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: US
Posts: 5
Default Re: First Time Builder, need help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
Well first thing's first, you're paying too much for an old platform when you can get better.
Secondly, you don't need an i7 for a gaming build.
Third, don't go for overpriced boards when you won't use 60% of the features on it.
Fourth, always, ALWAYS put the most money into your GPU.
Fith, that PSU is way OP for the rig, or any rig you would build.
Sixth, you want an SSD or two with that type of budget.
Seventh, You don't need RAM over 1600MHz speed.

Since you chose that case, we'll leave it. My opinion, don't get a full tower. There's no point in it. If you want advice on another case ask, otherwise we'll stick with it.

CPU:
Intel Core i5-4670K Haswell Quad-Core 3.4GHz LGA 1150 84W Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics BX80646I54670K - Newegg.com

Motherboard:
ASRock Z97 Extreme6 LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com

RAM:
Patriot Viper 3 Low Profile Blue 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model PVL316G160C0KB - Newegg.com

GPU:
EVGA 03G-P4-2884-KR GeForce GTX 780 Ti Superclocked 3GB 384-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support w/EVGA ACX Cooler Video Card - Newegg.com

With your budget and PSU selection you can add a second one.

PSU:
SeaSonic SS-750KM3 750W ATX12V V2.3/EPS 12V V2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Newegg.com

SSD:
Plextor M6e PX-G256M6e M.2 2280 256GB PCI-Express 2.0 x2 Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - Newegg.com

HDD + Optical:
Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive - Newegg.com
ASUS Model DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS 24X DVD Burner - Bulk Black - Newegg.com

I went with your 2TB. Honestly, you shouldn't need more than 1TB but since you selected it I went with your choice.

Cooling:
CORSAIR Hydro Series H60 (CW-9060007-WW) Water Cooler - Newegg.com

Cooling is NOT necessary, but with the budget the added cooling benefit is nice.

That monitor is not the best and I would not recommend it. Are you partial to 27"?

The machine listed will do maximum performance with any game. If you want to go 1440p 27" screen instead I suggest 2 780ti cards. If you want to stick with 1080p then I suggest a 24" monitor instead.

And if you don't have the cash to purchase this build now, then scratch this and come back later.
Thanks PP, some good information.
In regards to the monitor, I think I would actually prefer a 24". Any suggestions?
Also, I've heard great things about the Samsung 840/850 pro SSD's. Is there any reason I should get the Plextor instead?
This system will run any game (Crysis, Skyrim, Assassin's Creed etc...) on Ultra High settings above 60 fps? Also it isn't going sound like a wind tunnel is it? That would be a problem seeing as I don't live alone.
jaidenknoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: US
Posts: 5
Default Re: First Time Builder, need help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
Well first thing's first, you're paying too much for an old platform when you can get better.
Secondly, you don't need an i7 for a gaming build.
Third, don't go for overpriced boards when you won't use 60% of the features on it.
Fourth, always, ALWAYS put the most money into your GPU.
Fith, that PSU is way OP for the rig, or any rig you would build.
Sixth, you want an SSD or two with that type of budget.
Seventh, You don't need RAM over 1600MHz speed.

Since you chose that case, we'll leave it. My opinion, don't get a full tower. There's no point in it. If you want advice on another case ask, otherwise we'll stick with it.

CPU:
Intel Core i5-4670K Haswell Quad-Core 3.4GHz LGA 1150 84W Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics BX80646I54670K - Newegg.com

Motherboard:
ASRock Z97 Extreme6 LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com

RAM:
Patriot Viper 3 Low Profile Blue 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model PVL316G160C0KB - Newegg.com

GPU:
EVGA 03G-P4-2884-KR GeForce GTX 780 Ti Superclocked 3GB 384-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support w/EVGA ACX Cooler Video Card - Newegg.com

With your budget and PSU selection you can add a second one.

PSU:
SeaSonic SS-750KM3 750W ATX12V V2.3/EPS 12V V2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Newegg.com

SSD:
Plextor M6e PX-G256M6e M.2 2280 256GB PCI-Express 2.0 x2 Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - Newegg.com

HDD + Optical:
Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive - Newegg.com
ASUS Model DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS 24X DVD Burner - Bulk Black - Newegg.com

I went with your 2TB. Honestly, you shouldn't need more than 1TB but since you selected it I went with your choice.

Cooling:
CORSAIR Hydro Series H60 (CW-9060007-WW) Water Cooler - Newegg.com

Cooling is NOT necessary, but with the budget the added cooling benefit is nice.

That monitor is not the best and I would not recommend it. Are you partial to 27"?

The machine listed will do maximum performance with any game. If you want to go 1440p 27" screen instead I suggest 2 780ti cards. If you want to stick with 1080p then I suggest a 24" monitor instead.

And if you don't have the cash to purchase this build now, then scratch this and come back later.
One more thing, what are the benefits of having two video cards? Does the second have to be the same as the first?
jaidenknoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 11:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Build Guru
 
PP Mguire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 28,281
Default Re: First Time Builder, need help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaidenknoch View Post
Thanks PP, some good information.
In regards to the monitor, I think I would actually prefer a 24". Any suggestions?
Also, I've heard great things about the Samsung 840/850 pro SSD's. Is there any reason I should get the Plextor instead?
This system will run any game (Crysis, Skyrim, Assassin's Creed etc...) on Ultra High settings above 60 fps? Also it isn't going sound like a wind tunnel is it? That would be a problem seeing as I don't live alone.
Although pricey, this monitor is a damn beast.
ASUS VG248QE Black 24" 144Hz 1ms (GTG) HDMI Widescreen LED Backlight LCD 3D Monitor Height&pivot adjustable 350 cd/m2 80,000,000:1 Built-in Speakers - Newegg.com

Samsung 840pro and EVO are great SSD's yes, including a few others like the Crucial MX550 and Corsair Neutron GTX. I linked you an M.2 SSD which is a new form factor that IMO will take over mainstream SATA3 SSDs after a few years because PCI-E is superior in practically every way. The Samsung 850 isn't quite here yet, and even if it was I could not recommend it due to new tech. Products need to prove themselves in reviews and testing before I can recommend them.

Ultra High? Sure. ABove 60fps? Not all games. See below second quote.

Will it sound like a wind tunnel? Not if you have good silent fans. The fans that come with the HAF case are quiet, but they suck and do not push much air. If the Corsair fan on the H60 is too noisy for you then you can always change it with a superior fan like a Noctua. I doubt you'll need to do this though.


Quote:
Originally Posted by jaidenknoch View Post
One more thing, what are the benefits of having two video cards? Does the second have to be the same as the first?
Having 2 video cards in SLI or Crossfire increases performance above a single GPU configuration with certain variances like driver support, or game compatibility as well as scaling. Think of it as having a supercharger or turbocharger in a car. For further explanation, see this video.


2 780ti cards will almost run everything, if not everything, at 1080p over 60fps (more like 100fps) with ultra settings. One thing he is wrong about, you can run SLI with 2 different VRAM solutions. For instance, 2 GTX 770 except one being 4GB and one being 2GB.
__________________
"Resolution is just a number." #Ubisoft
Origin/Steam = PP_Mguire Twitch = pp_mguire Instagram = ppmguire PSN = PP_Mguire

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 12:04 AM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: US
Posts: 5
Default Re: First Time Builder, need help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
Although pricey, this monitor is a damn beast.
ASUS VG248QE Black 24" 144Hz 1ms (GTG) HDMI Widescreen LED Backlight LCD 3D Monitor Height&pivot adjustable 350 cd/m2 80,000,000:1 Built-in Speakers - Newegg.com

Samsung 840pro and EVO are great SSD's yes, including a few others like the Crucial MX550 and Corsair Neutron GTX. I linked you an M.2 SSD which is a new form factor that IMO will take over mainstream SATA3 SSDs after a few years because PCI-E is superior in practically every way. The Samsung 850 isn't quite here yet, and even if it was I could not recommend it due to new tech. Products need to prove themselves in reviews and testing before I can recommend them.

Ultra High? Sure. ABove 60fps? Not all games. See below second quote.

Will it sound like a wind tunnel? Not if you have good silent fans. The fans that come with the HAF case are quiet, but they suck and do not push much air. If the Corsair fan on the H60 is too noisy for you then you can always change it with a superior fan like a Noctua. I doubt you'll need to do this though.


Having 2 video cards in SLI or Crossfire increases performance above a single GPU configuration with certain variances like driver support, or game compatibility as well as scaling. Think of it as having a supercharger or turbocharger in a car. For further explanation, see this video.


2 780ti cards will almost run everything, if not everything, at 1080p over 60fps (more like 100fps) with ultra settings. One thing he is wrong about, you can run SLI with 2 different VRAM solutions. For instance, 2 GTX 770 except one being 4GB and one being 2GB.
Thanks so much for all of the help. I actually learned a lot from this.

Another question (and it might sound stupid), will all of these parts come with all of the cables I need for installation? I'm assuming I am going to have trouble with installation due to lack of experience. Hopefully I can find a good tutorial and get through it decently hassle-free.
jaidenknoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 12:15 AM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: US
Posts: 5
Default Re: First Time Builder, need help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
Although pricey, this monitor is a damn beast.
ASUS VG248QE Black 24" 144Hz 1ms (GTG) HDMI Widescreen LED Backlight LCD 3D Monitor Height&pivot adjustable 350 cd/m2 80,000,000:1 Built-in Speakers - Newegg.com

Samsung 840pro and EVO are great SSD's yes, including a few others like the Crucial MX550 and Corsair Neutron GTX. I linked you an M.2 SSD which is a new form factor that IMO will take over mainstream SATA3 SSDs after a few years because PCI-E is superior in practically every way. The Samsung 850 isn't quite here yet, and even if it was I could not recommend it due to new tech. Products need to prove themselves in reviews and testing before I can recommend them.

Ultra High? Sure. ABove 60fps? Not all games. See below second quote.

Will it sound like a wind tunnel? Not if you have good silent fans. The fans that come with the HAF case are quiet, but they suck and do not push much air. If the Corsair fan on the H60 is too noisy for you then you can always change it with a superior fan like a Noctua. I doubt you'll need to do this though.


Having 2 video cards in SLI or Crossfire increases performance above a single GPU configuration with certain variances like driver support, or game compatibility as well as scaling. Think of it as having a supercharger or turbocharger in a car. For further explanation, see this video.


2 780ti cards will almost run everything, if not everything, at 1080p over 60fps (more like 100fps) with ultra settings. One thing he is wrong about, you can run SLI with 2 different VRAM solutions. For instance, 2 GTX 770 except one being 4GB and one being 2GB.
And I don't need like, thermal paste or anything? Basically what I am asking is if I need to buy anything other than the above mentioned items.
jaidenknoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 12:30 AM   #8 (permalink)
Build Guru
 
PP Mguire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 28,281
Default Re: First Time Builder, need help!

Newegg has a pretty in depth tutorial and anything else you might need help with or with troubleshooting you can post in the troubleshooting subforum and we'll help.

The Corsair H60 comes with a layer of paste required if you buy that, and the stock heatsink for the 4670k also comes with paste pre-applied. If you feel you want your own (which would be wise) then you can buy some AS5 or MX-4.
__________________

__________________
"Resolution is just a number." #Ubisoft
Origin/Steam = PP_Mguire Twitch = pp_mguire Instagram = ppmguire PSN = PP_Mguire

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
computers, games, gaming, hardware

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
first time builder need help magicboy System Upgrades 26 12-30-2009 06:04 PM
First time builder, long time reader Billymac24 New Systems | Building and Buying 9 03-09-2009 01:53 AM
First time builder - Need help picking hardware (gaming PC) Nevin New Systems | Building and Buying 15 03-12-2008 05:34 PM
First time builder need help Rit2003uk System Upgrades 29 12-18-2006 08:32 AM
First time builder, need help. Nak-Nak Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting 15 10-13-2006 11:22 PM



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.