First time builder here *waves* - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Closed Thread
Old 12-10-2006, 07:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default First time builder here *waves*

Processor: E6300

Power Supply:

Graphics: Probably a NVidia 7900 GS

Hard Drives:*

RAM: Not sure....I know I want at least 2 gb but Im not sure which to get**

* I planned to double boot Linux (always wanted to try it out) and Windows Vista on it. Any advice on how to do this is appreciated, I read alot about it. I know you need a partition and all. I wanted to run both OS on the Raptor hard drive, giving Linux as little as possible as its only there for browsing purposes and Windows has the rest. Also, Im guessing I need to partition the 2nd hard drive as well, I meant for that hard drive as storage.

**The PC Im making is partly gaming, but I dont wanna overclock it or anything. Its my first rig and all. I was reading a DDR2 800 RAM on Newegg and someone said that his/her RAM wasnt working with the same motherboard that I have. Im not sure, but if Im not gaming, what's the RAM i will be happy with?

Also, what is a good "How to build your PC" guide? Yes, Im a n00b >__>. I just dont wanna mess up anything, as its almost coming to a grand for me.

Old 12-11-2006, 09:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
MechEng Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to cwiz

u'll probaly want to get everything on newegg... its generally cheaper and they combine shipping on alot of stuff.

the 7900GS is pretty good, i just built my friend a rig w/ one... but if u can afford it get a 7900GT... they r a better card all around, and if you do get into overclocking (which i suggest cuz its pretty easy) the GT can go WAY higher than the GS... especially after a voltmod
how to build:

for ram, if u rn't overclocking, u can go w/ DDR2 667... but with higher frequecy, u can overclock higher. if you think you might want to push your system in the future (say when crysis comes out) i would splurge on some ddr2 800
Change the world
PS3 -> Folding as we speak Team# 64582
Closed Thread