First time builder and have a crap load of questions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

No Absolution

Solid State Member
Hi there, I plan on building my first rig within 1+ months depending on whether how steady of a job I have. I have been doing a lot of research although I already knew a lot about computers. I still have a bunch of questions. First off I would like to list the parts I am looking at putting in the rig.

CPU: Intel Q9450 (releasing around Feb 18)
Motherboard: EVGA 780i
RAM: 2GB of DDR2 800 GSKILL x2 (4GB)
Video Card: EVGA 8800GT x2 (SLI)
Hard Drives: 250GB Seagate SATA 3.0gb/s x2 (Not RAID because I'm a n00b)
Optical Drive: SONY DVD-ROM
Power Supply: OCZ GamexStream 700W PSU
Case: Antec 900

Questions:

1) For starters, will that build even work? I know I left out the OS, mouse, keyboard, etc. But I know they will work :p

2) Is the Antec 900 a good case? I read that it has a weird layout, but it looks awesome and it also doesn't have an annoying door or flaps blocking the optical drives.

3) On the Antec 900, the power supply area is on the bottom, which is different than most all normal cases I look at. AND because the poser supply's fan is not outside the case but would be pointing towards the graphics card, wouldn't that possibly damage the graphics card? Or does the fan draw in air and not push it out?

4) Is there anything other than software and I/O parts that I have forgotten?

5) Suggestions to improve this build... I have a spend limit of $2000 ($2500 max after shipping costs and warranties)

Thanks!
--Garrett :D

EDIT:
This system will be used for gaming and I don't plan to OC it unless it is absolutely necessary...

Assuming you have the OS already, looks like you might just want to add a better heatsink. Everybody seems to like tuniq tower.

I looked at the Tuniq tower, wouldn't it be too tall to fix the case's width (or too close for comfort...)

Alright, I'll definitely look into that PSU and optical.

I looked at the Ballistix for a LONG time, and after downloading the manual for the 780i, it says they are 1.8v DIMMS, where the Ballistix are 2.2v. Not quite sure how well that would run...

Also, I'm kind of afraid of ASUS after reading reviews of bad bios and other issues... But I'm sure some of them are a bit exaggerated...

And the case looks a bit plain for my taste... Most of my time with computers have been with plain cases, wanted to try something new :p

Alright, I'll definitely look into that PSU and optical.

I looked at the Ballistix for a LONG time, and after downloading the manual for the 780i, it says they are 1.8v DIMMS, where the Ballistix are 2.2v. Not quite sure how well that would run...

Also, I'm kind of afraid of ASUS after reading reviews of bad bios and other issues... But I'm sure some of them are a bit exaggerated...

And the case looks a bit plain for my taste... Most of my time with computers have been with plain cases, wanted to try something new :p

its all upto you.
about the ballistix, all you gotta do is raise the volt...i had to raise it by +.04 to have it run at the recommended settings.
the ballistix are way better than the g skill

its all upto you.
about the ballistix, all you gotta do is raise the volt...i had to raise it by +.04 to have it run at the recommended settings.
the ballistix are way better than the g skill

Alright, and that can be done in the BIOS?

Get a 520hx, identical to 620hx on the 12v rail but it's cheaper.

You shouldn't plan to not overclock when it's so easy and can significantly increase performance (for ex. an OC from 2.4 ghz to 3 ghz on a Q6600 is a 25% increase and can be done on stock volts)

Wouldn't recommend SLI, either go with X38 and HD3870s in crossfire or a single 8800 GTS (and, in that case, you could just get p35)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom