first time builder

I wouldn't get the R9 390 with the GTX 1070 coming out in a couple of weeks, especially at that price. Although largely personal preference I can't really recommend the 29" ultrawide. The rest seems fine to me although for the build I have to nag to get an SSD.

i know you said personal prefernce but why not the ultra wide? also i will likely get the 1070 the video card shown here is mostly a placeholder since the 1070 aint out yet and its gonna take me a few months to get the cash together to get everything.

Then come back when you have the money together or stick around to learn a few things since you're a first time builder. I'll quote my article on why.

Finally, my ending here. I'm not trying to discourage people from posting, but if you do not have the money now to purchase within a week of posting then please do not make a build thread. Hardware is still changing around every 6 months. Prices change continuously. Some people on here like to build with combo deals, promo codes, ect. These go away within a few days and if you don't have the cash to take advantage of them then it makes it a useless waste of time to make a build for you. That 600 dollar build could wind up being 800 with the same parts from either inflation or the removal of certain deals. That same 600 bucks could also get you a better rig in 3 months time due to prices lowering for whatever reason. So even though we want you to post questions, please don't make us make a build and waste that time when you can't actually purchase it within a reasonable time. Another thing, is I wont typically recommend waiting for new parts to come out unless it's a big deal or a game changer for your money.

Hey, What is your final budget? That is probably one of the more important questions. But as said above, if you're waiting, you may as well wait for the new video cards to drop. No sense in buying hardware that is going to be even further outdated. Secondly, I highly recommend going for a board which does PCI-E SSD in the M.2 form factor. They take up virtually no space, and they act as a great OS drive. I can boot to desktop on windows 10 without fast boot on from the end of POST in less than three seconds. I can transfer large files in real world situations at over a gigabyte per second. You can then get a reliable mechanical drive for your normal storage purposes. Just my .02 cents.

EDIT: One thing to keep in mind however, are the PCI-E lanes available. If you intend on running any kind of SLI setup or depending on the CPU you choose, you may run low on PCI-E lanes. I have the 5820k and it just happens to work out, barely with my X99S SLI Plus

You're paying the extra money to have a fancy PCI-E SSD. As an owner of both a Predator 4x and an 850 Pro they both work the same in Windows and real world tasks including games. Even doing productivity on both like video editing, timeline scrubbing, using as scratch disc, ect doesn't show any real world difference. It's why I don't suggest one unless the person has the budget available. My machine boots just as fast as my bro's with a 950pro and a 4.5GHz clocked 5960x compared to my Predator and 4.6GHz clocked 3960x on an older UEFI bios. Our benches are even close in comparison to PCI-E 2.0 to 2.0.

Back
Top Bottom