First Time Build - Ordering This Weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

So I finally finished building the computer. Ended up Q9550.

Got all my parts from newegg, and seems that the only problem I had is that my Sunbeam Core-Contact freezer came with a flawed fan controller.

I have a few question that I can use some guidance with:

1) I put in my old HD, and it still has a OS system on it from my old computer, will this cause problems? if i decide to format it, how would i go about doing it? Will right clicking on it and choosing format do the trick or is it deeper then this? (its partitioned into 2 segments)

2) How can I see the CPU temp while im in windows XP (the one i have), is there a way for me to control the speed, because since the controller doesnt work, I think the fan is always on highest since its very loud.

3) Which software should I get that are a "must have". I got AVG anti-virus and going to get CCclean. Anything else is recommended?

4) How can i maximize the performance of my GTX 260 core 216? are there any setting I need to play with in the Nvidia setting or anywhere else? (i got an acer 22" screen)

Thank you very much for all the help you offered me through this process, I learned a lot and enjoyed this very much.

(1)What do you want to do to the hard drive? I have a similar dilemma that I am fixing now. if you just want to wipe it clean than any number of hard drive utilities like Gparted can do that with no fuss. But if you want to back up the data on the drive you can either, copy the important stuff to the new one and then wipe the old one, or wipe the windows partition on the old one and expand the other partition to fill the whole drive.

(2)You should download a program called real temp. It will give you accurate readings.

(3)We have guides for that in the windows section. But I would also get Spybot Search and destroy. Cpu-z, Super Pi and 3dmark 06 are all mandatory apps if you want to do benchmarking.

(4)Yes, you can overclock it. That card is pretty popular so a quick google search should bring up some other people's results so you know what to expect. Also, in the Nvidia control panel you can mess with some settings that will give you a few extra points in 3dmark.

Hey no problem man, we like to get more and more people tech savvy. And I think one of the best ways to do that is have you build your own pc.

I think im going to move the things i need form the old one to the new one, and then just wipe the other one clean, what is the best way to go about doing this?

Only install the new drive. Install windows. Then add the old drive. Since you use SAT the Bios will automatically set your first drive as the boot on so make sure the new one is on the first connector. then just copy over enmasse your files. Then you can use partition magic or gparted to reformat the hard drive.

Only install the new drive. Install windows. Then add the old drive. Since you use SAT the Bios will automatically set your first drive as the boot on so make sure the new one is on the first connector. then just copy over enmasse your files. Then you can use partition magic or gparted to reformat the hard drive.

This is basically what I did, I put the comp together, installed OS xp, made sure everything works and then added the old one. One thing i need to mention is that the old one is IDE. So at this point they are both connected and im going to start coping the ifles to the new one.

So after that done I should dt one of the programs oyu mentioned and format the old one?

Another questions I had is regarding the CPU temp, I got realtemp, and my temps are in the 30s with core 3 being 40 idle. Is this too high? as i mentioned I have a sunbeam cooler with a broken fan controller and i cant change the speed. Is there anything I need to do or worry about? Is there a way to control the speed wihtout the controller?

thanks

If you want the Antec 900, I would go with the new one. The fans on the front have a fan controler, fan filters, on the back there is switches to turn off the LEDS on the back fan, top, and front, the interior is painted black, there is better connections on the top of the case, i think it is a bit wider for larger cpu coolers, and it has 8 expansions slots compared to 7...so the new x58 3way SLI will fit, and some other upgrades.

Newegg.com - Antec Nine Hundred Two Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

So after that done I should dt one of the programs oyu mentioned and format the old one?

Another questions I had is regarding the CPU temp, I got realtemp, and my temps are in the 30s with core 3 being 40 idle. Is this too high? as i mentioned I have a sunbeam cooler with a broken fan controller and i cant change the speed. Is there anything I need to do or worry about? Is there a way to control the speed wihtout the controller?

thanks

Yeah, I would use Gparted myself. The easiest way is to downlaod the Ultimate Boot CD, and burn that to a cd with an iso burning app. You can get the trial version of magic iso to do this.

You boot the cd and choose gparted and go from there.

I would rma the sunbeam. I bet ups got careless with the package. That is odd that one core is reading 10C higher than the others. That probably means the hsf isn't mounted right. Did you apply thermal paste? The core contact comes with TX-2. Just put a small dot in the middle. The pressure from the heatsink will spread the paste evenly if you put it on right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom