First Time Build - Ordering This Weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinhas

Baseband Member
Hello,

I am now in the process of selecting parts for my first custom build machine, I dont have much knowledge in computers, and the reading I did the last few days is probably the extent of my expertise, I did some research and got some very useful help from this community, and now I think I settled on those part:

Newegg.com - Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TPower I45 LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 Yorkfield 2.5GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

Newegg.com - EVGA 512-P3-N879-AR GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Newegg.com - G.SKILL PI Black 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3500320AS 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Black 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 20X DVD Burner with LightScribe - CD / DVD Burners

Newegg.com - Sunbeam CR-CCTF 120mm "Core Contact Freezer" CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

Newegg.com - Acer X223Wbd Black 22" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 2500:1 - LCD Monitors

Still considering getting
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC/ ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

Which of the two cases would you reccomend?

Would love to get your thoughts and comments, my main use will be gaming and also running design programs (AutoCAD, Photoshop, 3D Max) with occasional movie watching

*I plan to put inside one of my old DVD drives, will this be a problem? (it came with my old dell 7 years ago) just to have 2 drives, incase I need to burn CD to CD
*I will need to transfer all my info from my old hard drives to the new one, will this be a problem?

Thanks in advance

Personally, and what most will probably say, the Nine Hundred is a great case, and I would recommend that to you.

The only reason the Drives might not work is if they are IDE and you have too many IDE devices for your motherboard.

And transferring information should be fine, and external hard drive of some sort would be a huge help to you as far as that is concerned.

looks like a good build, i would recommend the cm 690 over the 900, has alot more features and its great for wire management, the only thing it doesn have is a window, and u can buy on if u want
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER RA-690-KWN2-GP CM 690 clear side panel with one 120 mm blue LED fan - Case Accessories

also if u want to add your old hard drives and cd drives there prolly all ide, u can only add 2 ide devices on newer motherboards but u can get a ide controller card for cheap:

Newegg.com - Rosewill RC-208 PCI IDE (ATA) Silicon Image Host Controller un-RAID Card - Also Supports Window Vista Ready - Controllers / RAID Cards

Its about 1000$, I was thinking of going I7, but when you add the price and the price of I7 compatible motherboards and other parts, its get a bit pricey.

i think i7 might be a bit too much for his budget but it is possible to do it, you would have to cut some serious costs tho.

Since you are getting a crossfire motherboard you might want to get a 4850 instead. they are about the same performance, but down the road you can add a second.

Since you are getting a crossfire motherboard you might want to get a 4850 instead. they are about the same performance, but down the road you can add a second.

I am sorry for my ignorance, but which part are you talking about here?

I also now may be able to spend a little more money, and would like to perhaps get a slightly better video card and hard drive, any suggestions?

The CPU is still out of stock on newegg, and I still didnt order my parts.

I also red some bad reviews on the Barracude HD, and since the one I picked above for my build is out of stock as well, I figured maybe I should look at a different HD, I will be very happy to get some feedback on this as well.

Thanks

You can grab the Q9400 instead, and for a video card, if you have more money, you can grab a 4870, or a GTX 260 core 216. If you get the latter, make sure you grab the 55nm one.

Also, with the Seagate drives, it's true they are having some problems with their higher capacity HDDs, but I don't think there's too much of an issue at the 500gb level. But if you want to grab something different, maybe get this:

Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD7501AALS 750GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

I would normally recommend the 640, but it's out of stock too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom