First time build - Page 4 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 01:38 AM   #31 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Re: First time build

Thanks for the list, it really is nice but I've got a question on the Q6600. It seems everyone wants to get one of those now. Would I really need one? I hear that quad cores aren't even being utilized by games now or in the near future. Only bad thing about that is that I want to get a new monitor for no more than 200 dollars if I can help it that is at least 19 inches. I'm sure I can find a cheap Keyboard so that won't really matter and as for a mouse, the one I have listed I hear good things about. I can go with a cheaper mouse for awhile I guess.

Quote:
Oh, I forgot to mention you have to wait for the price drop on July 22nd for the q6600 ...

...I thought you didnt want DX10 cards... lol jk
Yeah, I'm waiting for the drop. And about the DX10 cards... I did actually want one until recently when I friend told me that I really wouldn't need one for awhile. If I can fit one in my budget, sure, why not?

Old 07-07-2007, 01:44 AM   #32 (permalink)
Gears of War King

Send a message via AIM to MaV II DARK II

Games such as Crysis, Alan Wake and many others WILL use all four cores.

If you want you could drop the q6600 and get a e6750 which will be $180 on July 22nd but be aware that if you want to future proof get yourself the q6600.

As far as a moniter goes, heres some I found

Newegg.com - Acer AL1917WAbd Black 19" 5ms DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 700:1 Built in Speakers - Retail

Newegg.com - Acer AL2016WBbd Black 20" 5ms DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 800:1 - Retail

Old 07-07-2007, 01:55 AM   #33 (permalink)
Newb Techie

The tuniq is really good is it? I've heard alot of good things about it, the only thing I'm afraid of is it bending my motherboard. Thanks for those monitors btw, I can't believe I didn't see them before.
Old 07-07-2007, 02:00 AM   #34 (permalink)
Gears of War King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenshin37 View Post
The tuniq is really good is it? I've heard alot of good things about it, the only thing I'm afraid of is it bending my motherboard. Thanks for those monitors btw, I can't believe I didn't see them before.
No problem

Yea the tuniq is one of the best coolers out there

Dont worry too much about it vending your motherboard unless your going to be moving your pc alot (going to lan parties for example)
Old 07-07-2007, 02:15 AM   #35 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Ah, nope. It'll be pretty immobile. And since I may use a DX10 card, I may even get Vista Home Premium. I've heard alot of horror stories about it and decided not to get it. However, that was months ago and I hear the problems are being ironed out. Plus, SP1 is coming up soon. I don't think my machine would have any trouble running Vista. I did recently hear of problems with some games. For example, not being able to get out of buildings (or the ship you start on) in Vista. So I ask, is it really worth it, or should I stick with XP?
Old 07-07-2007, 02:20 AM   #36 (permalink)
Gears of War King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenshin37 View Post
Ah, nope. It'll be pretty immobile. And since I may use a DX10 card, I may even get Vista Home Premium. I've heard alot of horror stories about it and decided not to get it. However, that was months ago and I hear the problems are being ironed out. Plus, SP1 is coming up soon. I don't think my machine would have any trouble running Vista. I did recently hear of problems with some games. For example, not being able to get out of buildings (or the ship you start on) in Vista. So I ask, is it really worth it, or should I stick with XP?
I would say to stick with XP UNLESS you have to buy a brand new OS,which, in that case Id say go Vista

Closed Thread