First Gaming Rig.

Status
Not open for further replies.

alex!

Solid State Member
Ok im fairly new to the whole concept of sourcing and building a computer, although it has taken my interest. I would like to build a computer capable of playing CS:S and WoW with maxed out setting running at a decent fps (40-50+) as 10 fps on a laptop is not cutting it anymore. I would also like to use Photoshop and ofcourse background music.

I have spent some time on Overclockers and have sourced some parts which seem pretty good and i was hoping to get some expert opinion(s) on them. They are as follows:

CPU: Intel Core i7 930 2.80GHz (Bloomfield) (Socket LGA1366) - Retail
Mobo: Asus P6X58D-E Intel X58 (Socket 1366) DDR3 Motherboard
GFX: VTX ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card
Memory: Corsair XMS3 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 12800C9 (1600MHz) Tri-Channel (TR3X6G1600C9)
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB SATA-II 16MB Cache - OEM (WD5000AAKS)
PSU: Antec Basiq Plus 550W Modular Power Supply
OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium - Retail (Full Version)
Wireless: Edimax EW-7727In nMax 300Mbps Wireless Desktop PCI Network Adapter
Optical Drive: LG GH22NS50 22x DVD±RW SATA ReWriter (Black) - OEM
Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster Audigy SE 7.1 Sound Card - OEM (30SB057000000)
Case: Antec 1200 Twelve Hundred Ultimate Gaming Case - Black
Peripherals: Razer Naga Mouse 5600dpi MMO Laser Gaming Mouse
Microsoft SideWinder X6 Gaming Keyboard - Retail (AGB-00006)
Dell ST2310 23" ( 58 cm ) Full HD Widescreen Monitor

Price: £1,329.82 Inc. VAT​

It would be GREATLY appreciated to gain expert opinions/suggestions on this setup and make aware of any compatibility issues. Im not clear on wether the case will be suitable for the motherboard and wether or not the motherboard has enough PCI/PCIe slots.

+10000 pwnpoints for whoever can help a newbie out here :D

thanks!!!!

I see you're purchasing in £. What online stores do you buy PC components from on the other side of the pond?

You're MoBo you picked has Realtek onboard Audio. You can probably throw out that Sound Card. Realtek Audio is good.

I'm sure someone will comment on the Harddrive here in a little bit :p

Otherwise looks like a strong build :)

Mike

Yeah, get a caviar black HDD.

If money is a concern, I'd say ditch the soundcard and upgrade your gpu. Your current gpu will max both games you listed, but I would think you would want a gpu to match the power of that cpu you picked out. There is a bit of a power difference there. However, if all you want to do is play wow and css, you really don't need a cpu that powerful. You could drop down to an AMD Phenom II x4 955. Then you would need a different mobo and dual channel ram. Its up to you. If you do decide to swap out that sound card for a bigger gpu, I would suggest the HD 5850.

Hey Mike, thanks for pointing that out I have now removed the sound card from my list and took your advice on a better HDD, I checked out the other options and found a Samsung SpinPoint F1 750GB SATA-II 32MB Cache - OEM (HD753LJ) [HD753LJ] for only £56.99 with seventeen 5-star reviews on overclockers. (I can always replace the HDD as its not an extremely expensive component)

As for Druid's advice, I am currently searching for a better GPU like you said, Im trying to stay under £1,500. With the 5850 I am still within budget, thanks :)

Hey guys, here is an updated list of chosen components (special thanks to Mike and Druid for helping edit my previous list)

CPU: Intel Core i7 930 2.80GHz (Bloomfield) (Socket LGA1366) - Retail
Mobo: Asus P6X58D-E Intel X58 (Socket 1366) DDR3 Motherboard
GFX: Asus ATI Radeon HD 5850 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card
Memory: Corsair XMS3 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 12800C9 (1600MHz) Tri-Channel (TR3X6G1600C9)
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache - OEM (WD1002FAEX)
PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro 700w Silent SLI Certified Modular Power Supply
OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit- Retail (Full Version)
Wireless: Edimax EW-7727In nMax 300Mbps Wireless Desktop PCI Network Adapter
Optical Drive: LG GH22NS50 22x DVD±RW SATA ReWriter (Black) - OEM
Case: Antec 1200 Twelve Hundred Ultimate Gaming Case - Black
Peripherals: Razer Naga Mouse 5600dpi MMO Laser Gaming Mouse
Microsoft SideWinder X6 Gaming Keyboard - Retail (AGB-00006)
22"Acer P225HQbd Black Full HD 1080P TFT Monitor ET.WP5HE.001

Price: £1,353.25 Inc. VAT​

I have opted to go for a better power supply, a better GFX card and a better HDD. After some scouting I managed to find some cheaper peripherals which i am still deciding on.
The case apparantly has very good cooling so i am leaving out extra cooling for now.
So what do you think of the new setup? :D

Alex

Very nice build :)

I use the antec1200 and the cooling is INCREDIBLE. Such a good quality build aswell, although if I could I would swap it for the Coolermaster Cosmos S as its a great looking case.

Good luck.

Alex, the new setup looks fantastic. Surely will tackle any game :)

Now all you have to do it buy it and build it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom