First Gaming Build, Need Help/Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

VishKapish

Baseband Member
So, I decided I'm going to build my own computer. My budget is ~$1000. I've come up with a build and want to know what you guys think.

Video Card: SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 4850 X2 1GB 512-bit $205
CPU: i7 920 $230
Mobo: Asus P6T $209
PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W $65
RAM: OCZ Platinum 6gb $80
HDD: HITACHI Deskstar 500gb $50
Case: XION Solaris $45

Grand Total of $905 after shipping and rebates

So, what do you guys think? Is everything compatible? Did I forget anything? I have heard that for gaming, a higher clock speed is better than the number of cores, so do you think I should get the AMD Phenom II X4 3.0GHz instead?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I don't need a monitor, speakers, keyboard, mouse, optical drives, or an OS.

Decent.. but I don't think the HD 4850 X2 will fit in that Case (its currently the longest card out) and you may want a cooler besides the stock one on the Core i7

The i7 will outperform the AMD. It is not purely clock speeds. One architecture (how the cpu is built internally, and how it processes data) will perform differently than another at the same clock speed. The i7 chips are the fastest on the market.

I wouldn't get a Hitachi HDD. Go with this Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives. It is faster and more reliable with a little more space.

I would also change your PSU to one of these:

Newegg.com - PC Power & Cooling S75CF 750W EPS12V SLI NVIDIA SLI Certified (Dual 8800 GTX and below) CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

Newegg.com - PC Power & Cooling S61EPS 610W Continuous @ 40°C EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply compatible with core i7 - Power Supplies

The 610w will be plenty of power but you can get the 750w if you want to be safe for a future upgrade to multiple gfx cards.

Is the PSU I have in my build unreliable or bad?

no, but when it comes to pc power and cooling, there are not many better options as pc power and cooling almost always make the best psu brand list when it comes to debates.

i use ocz, nothing wrong with them at all, but i will be the first to admit they are not on the same level as pc power and cooling.

Ok, I'll go ahead and swap out my PSU for the PC Power and cooling one, since 2 people recommended it, its got high reviews, and its the same price.

Anything else?

Everything else looks pretty good.

Though, as vern said earlier, the card might not fit in that case. The card is 11.5 inches long. That's around 2.5 inches wider than an ATX motherboard. Judging by the standoff placement and the hard drive cage, it won't fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom