First Custom Computer - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-03-2013, 11:39 PM   #11 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: The United Kingdom
Posts: 12
Default Re: First Custom Computer

For the size of SSD I can't afford a Corsair or Samsung, like you said I was looking at the 128GB Corsair Force GT however that was far too much, so I opted for whatever make it was I chose, I could get an Intel 300 Series SSD however for half the price of the 128GB I only get a 60GB. But from reading other Threads it's about the make/model not necessarily the size, right? I'm just guessing but it shouldn't be too bad? The budget is very strict for me though and even with the minus 70 From The H60 I may still be over the 700 Budget.
__________________

SuperFly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:16 AM   #12 (permalink)
Build Guru
 
PP Mguire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 28,317
Default Re: First Custom Computer

Going from PNY to a Corsair or Samsung wont make it that much more expensive. Take the H70 off and you can easily afford this. It's worth the effort to get quality parts over cheaping out on certain things.

Corsair 120GB Force Series GT SSD - Solid State Drive - CSSD-F120GBGT-BK - Scan.co.uk

The extra fans also aren't necessary so you can further reduce cost on dropping those too. Actually, if you drop the H60 and fans not only can you get the better SSD but you can also bump up to an i5 3330.
__________________

__________________
"Resolution is just a number." #Ubisoft
Origin/Steam = PP_Mguire Twitch = pp_mguire Instagram = ppmguire PSN = PP_Mguire

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:53 AM   #13 (permalink)
ninja troll
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Maine
Posts: 1,019
Default Re: First Custom Computer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post

The extra fans also aren't necessary so you can further reduce cost on dropping those too. Actually, if you drop the H60 and fans not only can you get the better SSD but you can also bump up to an i5 3330.
yeah... no real need for the extras. you arent going to stress your system, no need to try to overclock hardcore.
__________________
Intel Core i5-2500K
ASUS P8Z68-V LE LGA 1155 Intel Z68
Corsair 550VX
1Tb Samsung Spinpoint F3
1Tb WD Caviar Green
2Tb WD Caviar Green
8gb DDR3 Corsair Vengeance 1600
Sapphire Radeon 6870


jasonalwaysready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:39 AM   #14 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: The United Kingdom
Posts: 12
Default Re: First Custom Computer

I don't mind paying an extra 15 For the Fans seeing as I know I shouldn't, but my computers are regularly left on overnight, whether that's because I'm downloading something or just spending a whole day(12 Hours) on the computer. I'm going to drop the H60 cooler which puts me just under budget, yay! Can I ask why no to the 7950? It has almost 500 more Cores than a 660Ti, but I'm guessing Cores isn't the main factor about performance in a GPU?
Can I also ask, seeing as realistically I do need to drop the price a bit, and I think I'll always stick to the Xbox 360 For games like Call of Duty and Battlefield etc. So what about a 7870? Obviously not as good as the 660Ti, but the games I play aren't exactly demanding, and I'm guessing I'm right when I say I'm sure it can't take a 200 Graphics card to be able to watch 1080p HD videos right? And whatever make/model 7870 They're all at least 30-50 cheaper than a 660Ti, which would give me the money to possibly upgrade to a higher/better SSD or coolers etc.
And what would you say about a OCZ Vertex Plus 240GB SSD? It's 100 From Amazon.

And lastly, what would you say to something like the AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor? Little bit more than the Intel i3 Dual core, but a little less than the Intel i5 Quad core.
SuperFly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:24 AM   #15 (permalink)
ninja troll
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Maine
Posts: 1,019
Default Re: First Custom Computer

if you said that you were a professional video editor and didnt game, then it would be a toss up of recommending an amd many core processor over an intel one. for all other applications, the intel will crush other relatively same priced products in the single core applications. this isnt being a fanboy, this is just looking at charts. it would be cool to have more competition in the cpu scene, but intel has it. you can watch bluray on the intel integrated graphics, so the gpu is there only for playing games. spend as much as you can on the gpu. you dont need the fans. my computers never gets shut off. cooling is adequate. you would want crazy cooling and additional fans if you overclock or live in a hot environment to reduce the degrees of separation above ambient that the system will stabilize to. cores in the gpu dont translate from amd to nvidia. look for benchmarks using the games you want to play, not synthetic benchmarks. odds are for a certain price, the nvidia will outperform its amd counterpart due to better driver support.
__________________
Intel Core i5-2500K
ASUS P8Z68-V LE LGA 1155 Intel Z68
Corsair 550VX
1Tb Samsung Spinpoint F3
1Tb WD Caviar Green
2Tb WD Caviar Green
8gb DDR3 Corsair Vengeance 1600
Sapphire Radeon 6870


jasonalwaysready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:48 AM   #16 (permalink)
Build Guru
 
PP Mguire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 28,317
Default Re: First Custom Computer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFly1 View Post
I don't mind paying an extra 15 For the Fans seeing as I know I shouldn't, but my computers are regularly left on overnight, whether that's because I'm downloading something or just spending a whole day(12 Hours) on the computer. I'm going to drop the H60 cooler which puts me just under budget, yay! Can I ask why no to the 7950? It has almost 500 more Cores than a 660Ti, but I'm guessing Cores isn't the main factor about performance in a GPU?
Can I also ask, seeing as realistically I do need to drop the price a bit, and I think I'll always stick to the Xbox 360 For games like Call of Duty and Battlefield etc. So what about a 7870? Obviously not as good as the 660Ti, but the games I play aren't exactly demanding, and I'm guessing I'm right when I say I'm sure it can't take a 200 Graphics card to be able to watch 1080p HD videos right? And whatever make/model 7870 They're all at least 30-50 cheaper than a 660Ti, which would give me the money to possibly upgrade to a higher/better SSD or coolers etc.
And what would you say about a OCZ Vertex Plus 240GB SSD? It's 100 From Amazon.

And lastly, what would you say to something like the AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor? Little bit more than the Intel i3 Dual core, but a little less than the Intel i5 Quad core.
You don't need the fans man, and stick with the Corsair Force GT. Not only is it your fastest option, but also one of the most reliable aside from Intel 520s and Samsung 830. The Vertex Plus is a SATA2 drive and low speeds with low reliability. It's cheap for a reason.

No to AMD for a few reasons. First of all, in games there is obvious latency issues causing micro stutter in single card solutions which can get annoying. Another problem is their drivers suck bad. If you absolutely wanted to just overall reduce your cost then get the 660 instead, but I strongly advise getting the 660ti and i5 3330 since you are dropping your price enough that you should be able to afford both of them.

2 reasons there. The first being, if you get the i5 3330 it will help you in your editorial AND the Nvidia card will help in GPU accelerated programs (like Photoshop). Second reason being, once you start playing games in full glory on the PC I can almost 100% guarantee you that you will want to drop the old *** console due to superior PC graphics. Trust me when I say that because I just had a LAN party over the weekend and let 6 or 7 console guys play Farcry 3 on my PC and they were literally floored. BF3 too. These guys were hardcore console kiddies too saying they would never ever want to PC game. I changed 7 fanboys minds this weekend to say the least.

No to AMD CPUs as well. Since you want to leave your PC on you will want things to generate less heat and consume less power. An Ivy Bridge Intel CPU will take less than 77w to do what the 150w+ AMD will do and do it better. Take heed to the fact that AMD FX CPUs are modules, not cores. An 8 core FX is actually a 4 module CPU. They aren't literally 8 physical cores which is why AMD lacks in IPC.
__________________
"Resolution is just a number." #Ubisoft
Origin/Steam = PP_Mguire Twitch = pp_mguire Instagram = ppmguire PSN = PP_Mguire

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:21 PM   #17 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: The United Kingdom
Posts: 12
Default Re: First Custom Computer

I may not necessarily need them but I'd still like to buy them, I'd feel better inside lol. It's not that I don't like PC gaming, I just prefer The Xbox 360, I find it easier to use and an Xbox controller, in my opinion is much easier/better to use than a mouse. I know that games these days will graphically perform better on computers because of the computer Technology that exists, but I'm not sure if I read it in something you said, but the games that are made for consoles are manufactured in the way that they are to perform with the graphics of the consoles, so you obviously won't get graphical content like you will on a high-end GPU, but they're still great if you know what I mean. So in that respect, I really quite like the Xbox 360. Plus I'm going to be upgrading to a newer version Xbox 360, I don't really know what the difference is between my current basic 250GB Xbox that I purchased like 2 years ago and the Xbox 360's of today, but yeah. Plus I have a 42" Full 1080p TV, and getting a monitor that size for my computer would be very costly. Oh I see, alright I'll go with the Corsair Force GT one. I think you misread Jason's comment, I'm not a video editor or anything haha, I just surf the Internet, watch movies and play games. Apart from the obvious reasons, would an Intel Core i5 3330 make a substantial difference in overall performance than an i3 3220? And alright, no to an AMD CPU. But in the real world, given that the games I play aren't at all demanding, or at least compared to most recently released games, and perhaps it wouldn't exactly hurt to drop down a few GPU price ranges or benchmarks, in your opinion do you think I would be disappointed if I bought something like a Sapphire HD / Tahti Le 7850 / 7870?
Thanks man.
SuperFly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:39 PM   #18 (permalink)
Build Guru
 
PP Mguire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 28,317
Default Re: First Custom Computer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFly1 View Post
I may not necessarily need them but I'd still like to buy them, I'd feel better inside lol. It's not that I don't like PC gaming, I just prefer The Xbox 360, I find it easier to use and an Xbox controller, in my opinion is much easier/better to use than a mouse. I know that games these days will graphically perform better on computers because of the computer Technology that exists, but I'm not sure if I read it in something you said, but the games that are made for consoles are manufactured in the way that they are to perform with the graphics of the consoles, so you obviously won't get graphical content like you will on a high-end GPU, but they're still great if you know what I mean. So in that respect, I really quite like the Xbox 360. Plus I'm going to be upgrading to a newer version Xbox 360, I don't really know what the difference is between my current basic 250GB Xbox that I purchased like 2 years ago and the Xbox 360's of today, but yeah. Plus I have a 42" Full 1080p TV, and getting a monitor that size for my computer would be very costly. Oh I see, alright I'll go with the Corsair Force GT one. I think you misread Jason's comment, I'm not a video editor or anything haha, I just surf the Internet, watch movies and play games. Apart from the obvious reasons, would an Intel Core i5 3330 make a substantial difference in overall performance than an i3 3220? And alright, no to an AMD CPU. But in the real world, given that the games I play aren't at all demanding, or at least compared to most recently released games, and perhaps it wouldn't exactly hurt to drop down a few GPU price ranges or benchmarks, in your opinion do you think I would be disappointed if I bought something like a Sapphire HD / Tahti Le 7850 / 7870?
Thanks man.
Sorry man, I reply to so many threads with different agendas here that I get confused.

In that respect, you would be fine with the i3 3220. Still no to the AMD GPU. If you want to save cash like I said go with the 660.

First and formost, all Xbox 360s are the same. The only difference is the chips and cooling. By that I mean, the Slim (newer style) has both the CPU and GPU on a single die and uses an Intel like cooler. It runs significantly cooler than the original style "phat" Xbox. The 4GB version has 4GB of internal flash storage but it isn't like an SSD. More like a single chip flash drive soldered on to the board. If you already have a perfectly good working Xbox then no need to waste your money. Trust me, I have an Elite in my closet and a Slim 4GB sitting right behind me.

To top that off, the PC has substantially better graphics even in console ports. Be it, some may not have higher res textures but higher resolution in general, Anisotropic Filtering, Anti-Aliasing, Ambient Occlusion, the list goes on just makes the games look better from an "extra eye candy" perspective. I mean, go over to the PC game screenshots thread and tell me that PC doesn't look better. Also, most games coming out have full native 360 controller support. Earlier today I was using my 360 controller for chat on my headset (TT X41 uses 360 controller for the mic) and if I wanted to I could instantly pick up my 360 controller and play without reconfiguring on BF3. I use my 360 controller for all racing games and emulators since I broke my wheel. It's just a better higher graphical experience in general. You can also hook your PC up to your TV. I'll also say, if you are not used to PC gaming then getting used to a mouse and keyboard setup wont come over night, but it's very doable. A friend I have over right now did nothing but console gaming and as of today can keep up with me in BF3 kills.
__________________
"Resolution is just a number." #Ubisoft
Origin/Steam = PP_Mguire Twitch = pp_mguire Instagram = ppmguire PSN = PP_Mguire

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:07 AM   #19 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: The United Kingdom
Posts: 12
Default Re: First Custom Computer

Well, I'll certainly look into proper PC gaming however for the mean time I'm fine with staying on console, The idea of being able to play with an Xbox controller on a PC does sound cool though, but I play Xbox because of Xbox Live, which obviously you can't get on PC. If I had to spend roughly the same price for a game that I would on Xbox 360 in my opinion it's in no way worth it, as once you've finished the story-line, or at least with me, There's not really much more point to play that game unless you play multi-player with irl friends, so in my books with everything else the Xbox definitely has the advantage there, and seeing as the H60 cooler has been dropped and I can stay with the i3 3220 Processor, I'll stick with a 660Ti. Another question I have though is what's a good branded 660Ti to chose that's not too overpriced? This may be silly but I don't really like the Blower "Fan" that EVGA use in their 660Ti cards, I'd prefer something like a Galaxy or MSI that has actual Double Fans, why? I don't really know, just would.. What do you think :s?
SuperFly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:25 AM   #20 (permalink)
Build Guru
 
PP Mguire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 28,317
Default Re: First Custom Computer

Those fans are fine. If it's cooling that you think might be an issue, don't think that. The 600 series runs quite cool. The blower fans are also better in regards to temp in the case. It sucks air from in the case and blows all the hot air out the back of your case. The other types blow hot air into your case. If you will be doing your gaming on the Xbox then you don't have to worry about them ramping up either. I recommend eVGA based on their CS and quality. If you chose to go with another brand then that's fine.
__________________

__________________
"Resolution is just a number." #Ubisoft
Origin/Steam = PP_Mguire Twitch = pp_mguire Instagram = ppmguire PSN = PP_Mguire

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.