First Computer, Requesting Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

thelastpachyderm

Beta member
Hey guys, i am going to be building up a rig. Set a limit of $2000, i know this might seem excessive but i am tired of dealing with lacking computer builds. My current price is sitting at 1700ish. Here is my current layout:

Mobo:
ASUS Rampage II Extreme LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard

CPU:
Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor

GPU:
HIS Hightech H489FT1GP Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Turbo

RAM:
OCZ 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory

Case:
Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Power Sup:
ENERMAX MODU82+ EMD625AWT 625W ATX12V Ver.2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power

OS HD:
OCZ Apex Series OCZSSD2-1APX60G 2.5" 60GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid state disk (SSD)

Data HD:
Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit for System Builders

Fan/Heatsink:
Noctua NH-U12P SE1366 120mm SSO CPU Cooler

Disc Drivesx2:
SAMSUNG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner Black IDE

These are all direct links from NewEgg, so if you want to look at them closer that's where i'll be getting it from. My biggest concern really is the Mobo and the Case. A lot of reviews on this Mobo say to verify that the case is big enough for the Mobo since it is a little larger than the standard ATX Boards. Also will the case allow enough circulation to OC? My current goal is to OC this CPU to about 3.5 or 3.6GHz.

Thanks for anyone who can lend me some support :).

-Pachy

You did not put in links. :)

For starters while the motherboard is awesome but it is totally overkill unless you are a serious overclocker.

If you like Asus go for the p6t deluxe V2 or P6T.
Or evga makes great boards as well.

the RAM is underkill. go for the OCZ 1600 plats.

I prefer the corsair 650tx to the psu you chose.

At this time I feel that SSD drives are still not worth their exorbitant prices for the performance gain. Just stick with the black and get a SSd in 6 months to a year when they are more reasonable.

Get sata drives not ide for your dvd drives.

You have the right idea, but I would tweak this a bit.

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!
Newegg.com - OCZ Vertex Series OCZSSD2-1VTX60G 2.5" 60GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid state disk (SSD) - Solid State Disks
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EADS 1TB 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies
Newegg.com - Sunbeam CR-CCTF 120 mm Core-Contact Freezer CPU Cooler W/TX-2 - CPU Fans & Heatsinks
Newegg.com - Sunbeam CR-LGA1366 LGA 1366 Core I7 Retention Bracket - CPU Fans & Heatsinks
Newegg.com - Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases
Newegg.com - Sony Optiarc Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA DVD/CD Rewritable Drive - CD / DVD Burners
Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit for System Builders - Operating Systems

Total comes to $1,469.74 after shipping, then you get 90 bucks back in MIRs.

The Rampage is really a bit much for a motherboard. You would be fine with the P6T.

The OCZ Vertex series is a bit better than the one you got, and is cheaper after MIR.

The OCZ Plats are the best deal for RAM right now, faster than yours with better timings and such.

Got you a bigger data HDD, the green series is a great deal right now for the space. Also a better PSU.

The case will fit that motherboard just fine, and it's a great case.

You also are getting a better/cheaper HSF that comes with a tube of TX-2, which is the best stuff on the market.

EDIT: What Hefe said about SSDs are correct, they are pretty expensive for what you get. If yous till want it, then the one I posted is great. If not, grab a nice black series WD as a main drive, and another one for data if you so choose.

The total would be $1,249.43 if you didn't get the SSD, and you'd lose a $20 MIR. Then you could just add a 640gb Black WD.

None of your links are posted.

If 3.5 - 3.6Ghz is all your looking for then you don't need to buy the Asus Rampage II Extreme. Save yourself a few dollars, almost any X58 mobo will get you there no problem. I like my vanilla EVGA X58 mobo, it's loaded with all the bios options you'll need to hit 3.6 or even higher. And it's priced between the low end and the high-end.

Newegg.com - EVGA E758-A1 3-Way SLI (x16/x16/x8) LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Since you have mentioned overclocking, I'll assume your going to like the i7 more than you know. Spend $10 of the money I saved you above and get this memory as a minimun.

Newegg.com - OCZ Platinum 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

I'm really not a fan of the Heatsinks available at the egg. If I wasn't going to buy a Thermalright True 120

Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme-1366 RT CPU Heatsink (Socket LGA 1366) - FrozenCPU.com

then I would have to try one of these

Prolimatech Megahalems Intel CPU Heatsink (LGA 775 / 1366) (AM2** / AM2+** / AM3**) - FrozenCPU.com

if I had to buy one from Newegg I would probably try this one out

Newegg.com - Xigmatek THOR'S HAMMER HDT-S126384 CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

that's a great build there Hikari, especially on the 650TX...it's an awesome PSU. Also if you didn't want to spend the extra cash on Vista you could get the Windows 7 RC for free. The P6T is a great board as well.

+1 for the the OCZ Vertex. It uses a Indilinx controller that is significantly better than the jmicron one used in the Apex and as a result will give you much better real world performance.

If you just use the SSD for the os and a few application that would take advantage of the improved performance you shouldn't have a problem with only having 60gb. Just don't try to install every game you own and a bunch of programs that you rarely need on it, that's what the storage drive is for.

I strongly disagree with SSD's being too expensive for what you get. They are considerably faster than any consumer level hard drive, including Velociraptors, across the board and a RAID setup capable of matching their performance would be far more expensive. IMO hard drives are the biggest bottleneck in a pc and SSD's go a long way towards eliminating that restriction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom