First computer project

Status
Not open for further replies.

damenka

Solid State Member
Hello! I'm building a new gaming pc for about 1400$ and as this is my first build, i need some help picking. I'm from Sweden if anyone is interested. :p

I'm posting links to newegg.com for the convenience, but I will buy all my parts from stores in Sweden (obviously) :)

I'm pretty sure i want the 2500k processor:
Newegg.com - Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500K
Now for the motherboard I'm not sure, It's either the p67 or the z68 i want, I heard the only better thing with the z68 was more support for ssd discs but i'm not sure.

Graphics card will probably be an gtx 560 ti, Might go sli later.
I can get the batman game and crysis 2 with the ASUS and it's cheaper than MSI's card (In sweden, but I get Medal of Honor with, there arelLots of game+graphicscard bundles :p )

Asus Card:
Newegg.com - ASUS ENGTX560 TI DCII/2DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

MSI card:
Newegg.com - MSI N560GTX-TI Twin Frozr II/OC GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Hard drive:
No Idea what to buy, I might add an ssd disc as I've seen it in works and it's great! I need about 500 - 1000 gb storage...

PSU:
Well... 600 - 750W should be fine and leave some room for overclocking, this one is 80+ verified and coolermaster is a trusted brand from what i've heard:

Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER GX Series RS650-ACAAE3-US 650W ATX12V v2.31 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

Ram, Gskill ripjaws or corsair vengeance? (2x4gb, 1600 MHz :

Gskill:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231314

Vengeance:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145345

Extra cooler? No idea what to buy again... will probably overclock a little...

Case? I'm looking at the HAF X, but It's quite big... I would like my case pretty small, although performance goes first.

Well that's all i can think of right now. Total $ spent will be about 1250$ if i haven't forgotten anything.
So... Any advice? :)

wow i plan on doing the i5 2500k + GeForce 560ti in my build and plan to spend less than a grand... if your able to spend that much why not up to the 570 hd GPU .. that things a monster

Well, I thought i might get a new screen aswell, but i'll look at the 570!

Thanks for the reply! :)

Posted this elsewhere, but its around your budget:

There is about $55 in rebates, so slightly over budget once you get your money back.

That being said; not sure what prices are where you shop, what combo deals are available, if rebates are the same, or how much shipping is.

Thanks roark! I think i can add aleast $100 on my budget so it's no problem. I might even have a copy of windows 7 lying somewhere, not sure though... I might save some money by buying a non oced gpu and doin it myself, it wasnt very hard last time i tried...

Edit: ok it turned out to cost me about $1800 which is a bit much, I couldn't find any bundles...
I'll try to find some cheaper store(s) and recalculate, but that'll have to wait until tomorow, now it's bedtime :D

Thanks slaymate! Those stores are idd some of the bigger, cheaper and trusted ones, I might even find some kind of bundle there!
The G.skill ram seems to be pretty rare here in sweden, but we have some good price-comparing site so i'll prob find it somewhere. If not Ill just buy the vengeance which seems to be crosairs counterpart.
Thanks!

If you go with Corsair Vengeance I'd suggest the low-profile heatsink version (doesn't have the giant fins).
Newegg.com - CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CML8GX3M2A1600C9B

To cut costs I would go generally in this order:
1) Case: Maybe the Cooler Master HAF 912. Post what you find/like, we will give you an opinion.
2) MB: The P8P67 (non-Pro) can overclock just as well as the Pro, but you wouldn't want to do dual video cards in it.
3) GPU + PSU: You can drop down to a GTX 570 and 650W power supply.
4) SSD: While they are a great upgrade, a computer can run without it. Can take it out altogether.

*Edit - If you liked the look of the Corsair 400R case the Cooler Master 690 II Advanced/Basic has the same look, just a little less expensive.

Ok, I've been looking at cases, I like the 400R design, the coolermaster 912+ is cool aswell but it's not alot cheaper. Also my friend has a 912+ and I want to be a little bit original. I found a decent looking case from NZXT, is it any good? It's name is Hades so it has to be good, right? (jk :p ) It's also about $25 cheaper...
NZXT Hades. Give me an opinion about the looks as well, my taste might be a catastrophe:
Newegg.com - NZXT Hades Crafted Series HADE-001BK Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
I'm also thinking about switching out the MSI GTX 580 Twin Frozr II/OC for an Newegg.com - ASUS ENGTX580 DCII/2DIS/1536MD5 GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 1536MB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card As it's about $45 cheaper... Is it a big difference between the two?

Also, I can't find the silverstone strider plus psu here in sweden so I need to find another one. I'll put the one I posted first in the build temporarily until I find/You suggest a better one.

I dropped the ssd disc to save some money, and the dvd burner because i already have one.

With those five changes my build will be:
CPU + MB: Intel i5 2500k + Asus P8P67 Pro.
GPU: Asus GeForce ENGTX580 DCII/2DIS/1536MD5 1536MB
PSU: COOLER MASTER GX Series 750W
RAM: 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600 CAS8.
HDD: 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3.
Case: NZXT Hades

T
otal: $1 617,27

It's still a bit over my budget, but I might manage to afford it. Reply if you want to change anything :)

Thank you for being so helpful to everyone, I really love this forum :p
I'm posting this now, but I forgot to read rescensions about the hades case, will do now.

I like the NZXT Hades it has nice cable routing, comes with 4:5 fan spots occupied, looks good too.

The Asus video card is a tiny bit slower, but with that cooler I bet it could be overclocked quite well.
However; that cooler is quite heavy and, from reviews I've read, can cause the card to flex which isn't healthy.
I would try and find a standard 2-slot card if there is one available around the same price, try EVGA, they usually price their cards fairly.

Other power supply suggestions (the 750w was for overclocking headroom originally, you can run a 650w)
Corsair (priced high to low) - TX750 V2 / HX650 / TX650M / TX650 V2
Or, if for some unknown reason they don't carry Corsair, look for a 650-750W Antec / OCZ / Silverstone / Seasonic.

If the price difference is noticeable I would seriously suggest dropping the "Pro" version motherboard and just get the Asus P8P67.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom