First Computer Build - Advice/Suggestions/Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

LostKaz19

Solid State Member
Hello!

I'm looking to build my first computer to play games (such as WoW, Cod, l4d2, etc) on ultra high settings 1920x1080, but am worried that it wont be powerful enough to record via fraps in full hd and/or edit with sonyvegas without any game lag. Im not a fan of overclocking because i dont like to take the risk of breaking my parts, sorry. My budget is around $1000-$1300. Here are the parts i am currently looking at and would appreciate any feedback reassuring me that this computer will perform the above tasks.

os - Windows 7 Ultimate

case - Antec 902 ATX mid-tower
Newegg.com - Antec Nine Hundred Two Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

cpu - Intel core i7-920
Newegg.com - Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor BX80601920

mobo - EVGA 131-BL-E757-TR LGA 1366 Intel x58 ATX x58 SLI LE
Newegg.com - EVGA 141-BL-E757-TR LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX X58 SLI LE Intel Motherboard

gpu - Undecided and need help (currently looking at GeForce GTX 200 Series/ XFX Radeon HD 5770/ or HIS iCooler V Turbo Radeon HD 5830)
EVGA | Products | Product List
Newegg.com - XFX HD-577A-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
Newegg.com - HIS iCooler V Turbo H583FNT1GDG Radeon HD 5830 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card w/ Eyefinity

ram - Gskill 6BG (3 x 2gb) DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Triple Channel
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9T-6GBNQ

psu - Corsair Hx Series 750w SLI/Crossfire/80plusSilver Ready (certified modular)
Newegg.com - CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-750HX 750W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

hdd - 2x WD Caviar Black 1TB 7200 RPM Sata 6.0Gb/s (in raid0 format)
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

other - Dvd Burner/reader

A semi worry i have is will my cpu/gpu have enough processing power to run fraps and other programs smoothly without lag?

What worries me the most is what gpu to get. I havnt followed up on ati vs nvidia, and i hope this thread doesnt turn bloody. I would just like suggestions that will run my games with fraps smoothly, and be able to edit/render in peace.

Thank you once again for reading this wall of text and hope to hear from all of you soon
-Kaz

p.s. if it matters, i have a 19inch widescreen BenQ that i use for aim/vent/small stuff and a 23inch widescreen Acer

p.s.s. ill probably research this some more but i thought i could just jab this question in here. I have a windows vista home premium 32bit and win7 professional 32bit. Is it possible to just get the win7 ultimate upgrade and use either vista32bit or win7prof32bit to upgrade to win7 ultimate 64bit without spending the extra ~$70 for the full version?

once again... thank you

Ok, The HD5770 will run crysis on max settings with no aa-af at a 1280x960 resolution with about 20-35 fps without fraps (HD5830 will not be much different) so if u plan on making HD crysis videos than go for something like a HD5870 but for the other games a HD5770 will do just fine. I would no go with the GTX200 series unless they are gtx 4xx series of cards simpily because all the others do not support dx11. you need dx11 to enjoy crysis 2 to its fullest. Thats another reason to go with the HD5xxx series of cards. The rest of your build seems fine. Really research well on a gpu thats all i can say.

Your links are broken.

fixed the links, sorry about that >_<

Ok, The HD5770 will run crysis on max settings with no aa-af at a 1280x960 resolution with about 20-35 fps without fraps (HD5830 will not be much different) so if u plan on making HD crysis videos than go for something like a HD5870 but for the other games a HD5770 will do just fine. I would no go with the GTX200 series unless they are gtx 4xx series of cards simpily because all the others do not support dx11. you need dx11 to enjoy crysis 2 to its fullest. Thats another reason to go with the HD5xxx series of cards. The rest of your build seems fine. Really research well on a gpu thats all i can say.

Yeah i thought about it after posting this thread. I wont be able to record and play crisis2 on the highest settings without going for high end parts. Ill probably have to scratch that out b/c of my budget. I guess what im wondering is what gpu will give me the performance i need to play games such as wow, cod, and l4d2, without lag when recording with fraps.

Thanks again for the replies :)

As far as a GPU goes I favor Nvidia over any other brand but ATI has some very good cards out there too. Now Crysis isn't that hard to run on max settings a while back I had a 9800 GT and it ran it just fine on all max settings I know have a GTX 260 216 Superclocked and see no difference. Also if your planning on playing WoW then you can't use SLI because that game does not support SLI.
If you are not so worried about DX11 then just go with the GTX 200 Series.
The 295 is better than the 470 but it is more expensive so maybe go with the 470.

Since you're not OCing I would get a i7 930 since it has faster clock speeds.

Don't get the ATI 5830. The 5850 it's a few more and a lot better! If you can't afford it get the 5770 since it's a lot cheaper and the performance difference isn't much.

The mobo you've chosen doesn't support usb3.0 or sata 6.0Gb\s

I would get this:
CPU+Mobo: Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more! For $15 more you'll get a faster CPU and mobo with usb3.0 and sata 6Gb\s

GPU+RAM: Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more! For $50 more you'll get a faster RAM and a lot better GPU.

PSU+HDD: Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more! Save $37.50

If I did the math right for $27.5 more you'll get a better build.
If you don't have the money for this extra you can sacrifice one of the HDD. You can always buy a new one down the road and keep in mind that raid 0 is risky because if one of the discs fails you loose 2TB of data.

Since you're not OCing I would get a i7 930 since it has faster clock speeds.

Don't get the ATI 5830. The 5850 it's a few more and a lot better! If you can't afford it get the 5770 since it's a lot cheaper and the performance difference isn't much.

The mobo you've chosen doesn't support usb3.0 or sata 6.0Gb\s

I would get this:
CPU+Mobo: Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more! For $15 more you'll get a faster CPU and mobo with usb3.0 and sata 6Gb\s

GPU+RAM: Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more! For $50 more you'll get a faster RAM and a lot better GPU.

PSU+HDD: Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more! Save $37.50

If I did the math right for $27.5 more you'll get a better build.
If you don't have the money for this extra you can sacrifice one of the HDD. You can always buy a new one down the road and keep in mind that raid 0 is risky because if one of the discs fails you loose 2TB of data.

Thank you for your suggestions.

I will probably go with the i7-930 since i lack oc'ing experience. The 2 gpu's im debating over is the xfx hd 5770 and xfx hd 5850. Depending on if i can find a combo discount, this decision will probably come down to my budget, sadly.

1. I am having trouble picking a mobo with my needs. I want to stay away from gigabyte; too many bad reviews/customer support.

2. I do realize that raid 0 is a bit risky, but i think the performance boost is worth it; or so i hear.

3. I dont really see a need for a 1000w psu for i dont see myself oc'ing or doing any gpu crossfire anytime soon. I think 750w will be suffice, but am still willing to take other opinion in the pros and cons of other psu's i may have overlooked.

4. Is there a huge impact in having usb 3.0? as a student/semi-gamer

1 - If you don't like gigabyte how about Asus? Never had problem with asus... Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!
2 - if you're interested in speed I personally would get 1TB drive and save money to buy a SSD later on. Or make a raid 0 with smaller disks, like 320 or even less, for the OS and buy a larger disk for data.
3 - 1 - Sorry, I meant this combo:Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!
4 - Right now not really... in the future probably. Take the example of USB1.0 and USB2.0

Couldn't seem to edit my first post =/ but heres the new parts ive picked out with help from the above posts. Though, im still over my budget... ive checked all the combo deals i could find on newegg and found this to be the least expensive. Is there anything i could cut back on or lower the performance. Or is this pretty much the best thing i can do as for my first build. Again, this is for playing games such as wow, cod, l4d2, on the highest settings/ being able to record with fraps with no lag in 1920x1080/ and some video editing.

Os - Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate (Upgrade) - $175.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116715&cm_re=windows_7_ultimate_upgrade-_-32-116-715-_-Product

Case/Burner - Antec 902/Sony Optiarc CdDVD Burner - 125.94 ($105.94 with rebate)
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!

CPU/Mobo/Ram - i7 930/Asus P6X58D-E LGA 1366 Intel x58/OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 - $674.97 ($659.97 with rebate)
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!

GPU - XFX Radeon HD 5850 - $294.99
Newegg.com - XFX HD-585X-ZAFC Radeon HD 5850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card w/ Eyefinity

HDD - 2x WD Caviar Black 1TB 7200 RPM Sata 6.0Gb/s - $94.99 each ($189.98)
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Grand total comes to around $1414 and with rebate around $1359.

Edited: I'd love to save as much as i could b/c i also want to purchase a Razer Lycosa ($70-$80ish) and a Razer Naga ($70-$80ish) with whatever is leftover in my duck-taped wallet... :)

I see 2 choices i can make to lower the cost without lowering performance a great deal, i think/hope.

1. Change the GPU from the xfx 5850 to the 5770.

or

2. There is a combo deal which contains the Antec 902 case and Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM 500 GB Sata 3.0Gb/s. Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more! With this i could hold off 1 of the WD 1tb Harddrive, not format to raid 0 immediatly, take out a CdDvd burner from my old computer and install it into this one, and thatll save me about $100.

3. A question i had was, can raid 0 format only be done with 2 or more HDD/SSD with the same RPM and Memory? or can it be possible with different ones.

Thank you.

1 - If you don't like gigabyte how about Asus? Never had problem with asus... Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!
2 - if you're interested in speed I personally would get 1TB drive and save money to buy a SSD later on. Or make a raid 0 with smaller disks, like 320 or even less, for the OS and buy a larger disk for data.
3 - 1 - Sorry, I meant this combo:Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!
4 - Right now not really... in the future probably. Take the example of USB1.0 and USB2.0

Yeah i think i found the right Mobo. Its got usb 3.0 and sata 6.0gb/s.

i did see that combo deal while surfing newegg, but i just didnt like the non-modular psu. sorry, im really picky about airflow and cable management :(

And yes, i might have to go with smaller HDD's. If only money grew on trees.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom