First computer build

Status
Not open for further replies.
I more or less agree. The i7 870 should really be called a i5 870. I would stick with the 1090 over the 870.

Why ?

i7 870 is better than 1090T in most cases (specially in gaming)

I suggest looking at this review which has both i7 870 and 1090T benchmarked.

The i7 870 also beats i7 930 when both are a stock speed (thats mainly because of the higher stock speed and superior turbo boost of i7 870)

That review is mostly just synthetic benchmarks. The i7 870 is a crippled i7 with none of the real benefits. Your limited to the P55 chipset and it has virtually no upgrade path. What are they going to offer you a i7 880 with a small speed increase? SLI or Crossfire with crippled bandwidth? The only reason to buy a i7 870 is as an upgrade from and i3 or i5 cpu. Basing a new system on the i7 870 is foolhardy at best.

That review is mostly just synthetic benchmarks. The i7 870 is a crippled i7 with none of the real benefits. Your limited to the P55 chipset and it has virtually no upgrade path

The review has gaming, video encoding, and 3d rendering benchmark. Did you look at all pages of the review ?

Your limited to the P55 chipset and it has virtually no upgrade path. What are they going to offer you a i7 880 with a small speed increase? SLI or Crossfire with crippled bandwidth? The only reason to buy a i7 870 is as an upgrade from and i3 or i5 cpu. Basing a new system on the i7 870 is foolhardy at best..

Most people with i7 870 are not going to upgrade anytime soon. This CPU could easily last you for at least 2 years before you upgrade again, and at that time you most likely going to upgrade your motherboard anyway.

Not all people are interested in SLI or crossfire.

I know a few people that have already switched form the 870 to a real i7 after experiencing the disappointment. Most people are interested in some future ability to upgrade. Now whether they ever do so is another question.
GoogleIntel said:
Not all people are interested in SLI or crossfire.

And not all people are interested in sex, but when the situation arises what usually happens?

Personally, I like Intel better myself. But when it comes to giving people advice I recommend what better for them, not what's better for me. For the most part, it seems that you would like everyone to own a i7 870, why I just don't know as the i5 750 is a better choice for less money and the i7 920 is a better choice for a little more. In the i7 870 range the AMD is the better choice with more upgrade options.

So I bought all the parts and am starting to put this together, but I have decided I wanted to get some watercooling. So if anybody could help me, what is the best kit out there? Also if building my own, will you link all the parts that you would need. I am trying to keeep with the blue theme, so blue tubes and everythign are preferred. thanks in advance.

an water loop can cost anywhere between $150+( like hundreds of dollars ). do you have that kind of money for a water loop? and what do you want to water cool? just the processor or other things ( Mobo, GPU )?

All right guys, good news. I will have the parts tomorrow, and will be building it. When doing so, anything specific you guys want pictures of? Or anything I should know going into it? Right off the bat, will I be able to plug it in using HDMI right away, or will I have to use one of those other cables? Thanks, I am STOKED!!!

All right guys, good news. I will have the parts tomorrow, and will be building it. When doing so, anything specific you guys want pictures of? Or anything I should know going into it? Right off the bat, will I be able to plug it in using HDMI right away, or will I have to use one of those other cables? Thanks, I am STOKED!!!

Step 1: Check your ineventory list against all your parts.
Step 2: Secure all rebate information
Step 3: Check the area where your going to build. Don't do it with a glass of water sitting right in the middle of your area.
Step 4: Place the board on a flat surface, examine it, learn what all the features are on the board. Any questions post here before going any further
*Go to the store for a 6 pack, depending on the cpu cooler you have you might want a 12 pack*
Step 5: Remove your CPU, Artic silver, aftermarket cpu cooler and plug em in. Ensure your Artic silver is spread evenly and per instruction.
*Drink 2 beers one fast (17 seconds or less) second one slower (1 min)* Adjust this as necessary just dont break anything
Step 6: Install the cpu cooler
Step 8: Once that is done, and as long as your not seeing sideways (remember ONLY 2 beers!) take out your RAM. I know some AMD boards require certain slots to have the RAM to post and then add the other slots after first post. This will be in your motherboard book or else online
Step 9: Plug in your video cards.
Step 10: Secure all empty boxes from parts used and put them to the side. Take your tower and place it on your now clean area that should contain your mobo with parts installed. You should see pegs or something to that affect inside the case. There are screws that come with the tower (I think the tower is what they come with might be the mobo) use those to secure the board to the inside of your tower.
Step 11: Take out your power supply and make sure you understand what all the cables are supposed to go to. Mount your power supply into your case
Step 12: Remove your boot drive. Install your boot drive (dont worry about the other drive right now unless you only have 1)
Step 13: Commence hooking up your power supply to your video cards, board ect
Step 14: At this point I boot, cable management and all that I do after I get a positive boot and post into bios. Learn your bios and what settings are available if you are not sure post here
Step 15: Once you have a solid post, move your computer back to your work area. Turn off the power supply, unplug it from the wall, and using your static wrist guard start cabling to make it look neat and finished. (if you were only able to boot with some of your RAM now is the time to install the rest) Also install your other hard drive if you have one, get your OS out of the box. Now your pretty much onto the software side

Please post if you are not sure on something would hate to see something broken. ALSO do not forget you should have 4-10 beers left, after this is all done once you have your game going finish the beers :)

Alright not sure what I am doing wrong but, I need help. Got everything hooked up, ran the hdmi cord from my gpu to my tv and then turned it on. But nothing happens. The StandBy power led comes on, on the motherboard, but nothing else. ideas....

Alright, so I got it to power on, I am just retarted. But now I really am lost. I am trying to install my os, but anythink I do, it says it dont reconize devices, and then goes to screen that says "Reboot and Select proper Boot Device or insert Boot Media in selected Boot decixe and press a key" What should I do, please help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom